free website stats program ABS on 09 Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS on 09 Road King

trickydoc

got a 09 Road King and the ABS is acting up. Its kinda like its in super slow motion. When the rear brake is applied it will lock up, slide the tire, then release. When released, there are no brakes at all. this all happens real slow, it will hold the brake for several seconds, then release for a few seconds. I have no codes. we have checked fluid level, unplugged the connection and cleaned it. It started with a little noise like a playing card in the spokes. It kept getting worse, now its unrideable. Its at my local indy shop now. He helped me check everything. It got really bad when he test rode it. Glad he was on it when the brakes locked up in his gravel drive. I might have dropped it. Anyone had this happen?

I don't have any answers but will say that's scary stuff, lucky it's not the front!

You should check for recalls. I would be at the dealer complaining.

At least in cars when they go it isn't locking up, the ABS just isn't working.

Keep us posted.

This sounds like a combo of master and computer and or solenoid problem, have you changed pads and fluid lately? I will tell you one thing, bad ju ju pushing old fluid back up thru the ABS controller, if this is what has happened. The noise you hear sounds like what we call a roll off test, The ABS self checking

The pads have been changed, but not the fluid (that I know of). Bike had a recall, for the brake light switch. that was changed also. going back to the shop today and see how its going.

This sounds like a combo of master and computer and or solenoid problem, have you changed pads and fluid lately? I will tell you one thing, bad ju ju pushing old fluid back up thru the ABS controller, if this is what has happened. The noise you hear sounds like what we call a roll off test, The ABS self checking

ALL Good info from Jack here.

DIY'ers berware to crack the bleeder at the caliper before pushing pads/pistons
back into calipers if you have ABS!!

well we may have found the problem, it seems Harley had a TSB for bike, other than the brake light. They failed to do this. good news, it may only need to be ecm may only need a reflash. bad news its 2 weeks out from getting on the rack at the dealer. oh well.

well we may have found the problem, it seems Harley had a TSB for bike, other than the brake light. They failed to do this. good news, it may only need to be ecm may only need a reflash. bad news its 2 weeks out from getting on the rack at the dealer. oh well.

The only bad news should be for the dealer. This is a major safety issue that they dropped the ball on fixing the first time you took it in. Two weeks is unacceptable and it should be getting fixed right now. They should even be offering to trailer it in since they should have fixed it in the first place. I would call the dealership and work your way up to the owner and if that doesn't get the ball moving, I'd be calling HD corporate.

The only bad news should be for the dealer. This is a major safety issue that they dropped the ball on fixing the first time you took it in. Two weeks is unacceptable and it should be getting fixed right now. They should even be offering to trailer it in since they should have fixed it in the first place. I would call the dealership and work your way up to the owner and if that doesn't get the ball moving, I'd be calling HD corporate.

+1 +1 +1

If just a reflash, why 2 weeks out? How long could that possibly take? They should do that while you're waiting there I would think. Something smells fishy.
I would be irate!

Keep us posted on this issue Trickydoc and good luck.

Got the bike back. Dealer only said they flushed and replaced the fluid. No problems with computer or anything else. so far its working ok. I guess we just ride on until something happens again. have a great day.

Got the bike back. Dealer only said they flushed and replaced the fluid. No problems with computer or anything else. so far its working ok. I guess we just ride on until something happens again. have a great day.

Thanks for the update. So It was just bad fluid..??? I don't understand that.

You haven't answered Jacks question and I'm curious too, Has anyone worked on your brakes before this locking up problem?

Back