free website stats program ABS light flashing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS light flashing

So did the new pads fix the problem? I recently took a Head and Eyes class taught by a state trooper and rode cones for almost 4 hours. Hard. The only time I wasn't riding is when I lost rear brakes 3 different times (hot). After they cooled down the pedal would come right back. By the end, it felt like the rear brake was dragging a little. Next next time or two I rode it, the ABS light flashed and it still felt like it was dragging a little and the pedal got soft fast. I pulled the caliper this evening and it took 2 pretty large screwdrivers to get the pistons moving. The pads are about 7/8 worn. The fluid in the reservior looks pretty good, as does the rotor. The blood suckers ran me out of the shop just before dark, so I'll get it put back together tomorrow evening and see what happens. I'm fairly sure the pads aren't the only problem. The fluid may be used up or the caliper is going away. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. Thanks

BTW it's a 2010 Ultra Classic with a little over 50,000 miles.

Have you ever flushed the brake fluid? If not it's time.

Obviously you need pads, did you crack the bleeder before pushing the pistons back into the caliper on the ABS equipped bike?

Here's a link to a good thread:
ABS light flashing - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

Quite a while since I,ve been on the Forum so apologies for this late post ....but hopefully it may help someone with a similar problem to my original question which started this thread. I got to the solution and managed to fix my flashing ABS problem myself. I disconnected the ABS by unplugging the plastic connector behind the front forks and put an electrical multi tester on the wires in the ABS plastic connector to the the front wheel. It showed the circuit to be ok. I then checked the wiring by putting the tester on the wires in the other end of the plastic connector. I got no reading so there must be a break in the wire. I used the needle point of the tester to push through the insulation of the wire about 4 inches above the connector and the tester gave a reading....therefore the break was in the wiring in the 4inches below. I put a new piece of wire in a Scotchlock connector and closed the Scotchlock to cut into the wire at the 4 inches above (i.e. giving me a new section of live wire). I then connected this with a bayonet connector into the original plastic connection. Finally I wrapped the section of new wiring in insulation tape and tucked it back behind the forks. ABS light flashes when ignition is turned on and goes out when I reach 3 mph as it should. I tried the ABS and all works OK. I have done 20,000 miles since and no problems. I test the ABS periodically on the road and it is fine.
In summary my problem was a broken wire just above the front plastic connector which linked the front wheel ABS sensor to the rest of the bike,s wiring. It wasn't,t anything to do with sensors, bearings, etc. Just a simple broken wire.
Hope the above helps and saves someone a few dollars\pounds\euros or whatever your currency is in other parts of the world!

Good update however I would only use a scotchlock as temporary repair as water can get into it fairly easily a soldered connection covered with shrink wrap would be a better solution on exposed wiring

Brian

Good deal, Scotchlocks are a quick and easy road side repair ;)

had same problem with o9 ultra - was broken sensor wire in harness on left side just behind steering head where the wires go into main harness . cause was wire fatige from turning . to test went to abs unit & used ohm meter to check the wires while turning steering . then checked from sensor plug to abs unit so I knew which wire was bad.

Back