free website stats program ABS bypass fitting | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS bypass fitting

I can't open the image of the fitting I want to bypass mine if anyone has the pic could you. Please PM me to exchange contact info if you can't post the picture on the forum thread.

(Edited to remove email from public view)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never felt the complaint that has been mentioned here. My 2009 Road King Classic had abs and at that time there was an update to correct a sensitivity problem. It would seem that if there's a problem the dealer should have a solution as opposed to bypassing ABS control unit. And disabling would be as easy as unplugging the sensors or removing a fuse.

Disabling does NOT prevent the jammed valve that locks the brake fluid between the master cylinder and the ABS unit, NO pressure goes to the caliper. There have now been a few reports of this happening WHILE RIDING. Front or rear brake normal at the last stop, lever or pedal locked solid with no brake at the next stop. Until there is a redesigned unit I see this as a snake in the grass just waiting to bite. If I had ABS and got tired of the $700 to $1000 ABS unit replacement every few years, I would plumb around the unit also and go back brakes as we have always had. One answer would be to buy all of the standard plumbing between the master cylinder and the caliper for non ABS brakes for your year and model machine. I would expect that to cost close to half the ABS replacement cost but the "snake" would be gone for ever more.

ABS unit failure occurred on my 2013 FLHTK while I was riding......pulled on the the front brake lever and nada! Scary situation Fortunately I was in the city and in the right lane........was able to steer off into a gas station for the extra stopping distance needed. This is a really bad and dangerous system!!!!

HD recommends flushing/replacing the ABS system every 2 year's. Yes you can bleed ABS brakes without the use of Digital Technician. Just did mine last month.Bleed your brakes like you would a non-ABS system using your favorite method.I like to use a Mity-Vac.DO NOT turn the ignition on anytime during the process-you'll be screwed. Now take the bike for a ride, get up to say 30mph and clamp both binders-a panic stop.Do this a few times.Go back and bleed the brakes again. Repeat the process until you think you've cycled fresh fluid completely through the system. I did it 3 times.Congratulate yourself that you didn't get ripped off by the dealer.

There are a couple good videos on you tube showing changing/ bleeding fluid on ABS Equipped bikes ....simple to do in the garage without MoCo help.

I had my first accident EVER on a bike because of this darn thing. Been riding since I was a kid and I am 44 years old.

I pulled it out. I also hated the fact that I couldn't bleed my brakes without taking it to Harley.

Here is a photo of the fitting I used to connect the 2 lines. Got the fittings at O'Reilly. You need 2. One for front and another for the rear.
I am unable to open your link for the bypass fittingd on the abs. Would u possibly have the part #'s? I have ordered a new HCU but it is apparently pn bacl order? Would just like to have front brakes till part comes in
Thanks

I can't open the image of the fitting I want to bypass mine if anyone has the pic could you. Please PM me to exchange contact info if you can't post the picture on the forum thread.

(Edited to remove email from public view)
you get pic of bypass?

How could something as important as ABS control unit fail but not be covered under a factory recall?

Back