free website stats program ABS bypass fitting | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS bypass fitting

I just upgraded to an ABS equipped bike and love it. I purposely tested the system out when I brought the bike home for the first time, literally standing on the rear brake pedal. If it had been my 07 w/o ABS I would have been sliding and fishtailing, struggling to keep the bike upright. The vibration of the pedal is different but I do have to say, the bike stopped, MUCH shorter than it would have should the wheel lock and skid. The front ABS eliminates the possibility of a front wheel lock up and kick out but still will almost have you doing a handstand ond your bars. Once an old school skeptic, I became a firm believer. Why do you suppose the NHTSA has mandated installation in both tractors and semi-trailers of combination units as well as all automobiles? They work, folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk V1.12.2

can you please repost the picture of the fittings you used to bypass. I cannot see the picture. thank you

For what it's worth...I've been riding bikes for almost 40 years. I am a retired police officer who rode enforcement motors for 8 years total. In that capacity I've had extensive training in handling motorcycles, including decelleration drills. I know I can stop a bike in a danger situation without locking my brakes because I have done it and trained in it. None of my old bikes had ABS, my new bike does and I like it. I've never had to engage the ABS because I still practice panic braking without locking the brake, but I'm happy knowing that I have it if the need ever arose. Having said that I know the frustration of ABS assisted stopping, but for me it's not neough to cause me to disengage the system. Practice and learn how to stop at optium threshold and the ABS will not kick in.

My other concern would be if you disengage the ABS and end up in an accident what would that do to any potential insurance claim. I would think that disengaging a system that was factory installed, with the specific intention of assisting a vehicle in stopping, and that said vehicle was involved in an accident where braking came into play the insurance company/LAWYERS would have a field day.

Again, this is just my opinion for what it's worth......

Pay attention guys; might learn something here. I am not a fan of ABS because the front and rear brakes are linked; that and the fact that both my bikes are early models with no ABS options. I am however in the process of upgrading to the HD "wannabe" Brembo calipers with some hi-performance pads. The insurance question should be seriously considered if one opts to circumvent the factory installed braking system...........:icon_wink:

I have been using "threshold braking" technique for years but didn't know it had a name! It is an instinctive technique when one knows that full and constant pressure on the pedal or lever will lock up the wheel.

Last edited:
Dolt you can correct me if I am wrong, but the ABS system is used as a complete system. Disconnecting ABS whether mechanical or electronic the brakes will not stop safely as a non ABS bike. The best part of ABS is the fact you do not have to think. Just slam on the brakes and let the system take care of the rest. A easier way to disconnect is to install non ABS wheel bearings and case closed. But you will have a constant ABS fault light on dash and it may not pass state inspection...

can you please repost the picture of the fittings you used to bypass. I cannot see the picture. thank you

Dolt you can correct me if I am wrong, but the ABS system is used as a complete system. Disconnecting ABS whether mechanical or electronic the brakes will not stop safely as a non ABS bike. The best part of ABS is the fact you do not have to think. Just slam on the brakes and let the system take care of the rest. A easier way to disconnect is to install non ABS wheel bearings and case closed. But you will have a constant ABS fault light on dash and it may not pass state inspection...
I dunno about any valve, you could redo ALL the lines eliminating the module and BCM however you would be counter productive IMO, you could pull the ABS fuse, attatch it to a switch to turn the pump on and off also, but I am sure this would set a ABS light and MAYBE have to be reset by a dealer with a scanner, also if you are involved in a wreck and your insurance finds out you tampered with the ABS WELL I wont go there JMO

"I dunno about any valve, you could redo ALL the lines eliminating the module and BCM however you would be counter productive IMO, you could pull the ABS fuse, attatch it to a switch to turn the pump on and off also, but I am sure this would set a ABS light and MAYBE have to be reset by a dealer with a scanner, also if you are involved in a wreck and your insurance finds out you tampered with the ABS WELL I wont go there JMO"

Plumbing AROUND the ABS controller eliminates the hydraulic lock situation that the NTSB is starting to investigate on 08 through 11 production. There are several complaints in the forums every year about the lever or pedal moving just far enough to pressurize the line to the ABS unit and then no matter how hard it is pressed after that, it won't move-hydraulic lock. The fluid pressure STOPS at the ABS controller and no pressure is allowed to go to the caliper. The ONLY ABS malfunction that should be possible is a return to normal braking, NOT removing a brake from service. Very few have had the failure while riding, it is normally noticed prior to a ride but this has the potential to be a killer.

I can't correct you because I don't know that you are wrong. What you say sounds good to me but I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to ABS. I just don't like them because the front and rear are linked.

I am impressed with the braking system on the 2014 ultra limited I ride. Rode the tail of the Dragon earlier this year and the brakes served me very well. Had a couple times dragging the rear wheel going into a curve. Loved it! I understand some folks just don't like them.

I can't correct you because I don't know that you are wrong. What you say sounds good to me but I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to ABS. I just don't like them because the front and rear are linked.
My brakes are linked but non ABS, I really cannot feel the linking tho I assume it is balanced good

Back