free website stats program ABS bypass fitting | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS bypass fitting

I'm 65 and have ridden 2 wheelers since I was a youngster and I think ABS is the best thing to come along for a motorcycle. Where I live you never know what is going to run out in front of you, deer, bear, turkey, or tourist. I would never disable it, I did spend quite a bit of time getting familiar with it on back roads but now I would not buy a bike without it.

"There is no control in a locked up braking tire."

And there is little or no STOPPING when the ABS is fooled by a rough surface. Have some understanding that those of us who have had brake function STOLEN by the ABS system in warm, dry conditions will NEVER forget what that feels like. As I said above, when ABS can read and PROPERLY respond to varying road surfaces, then it will be ready for prime time, but not before. I can adjust braking technique for road surface, ABS still lacks that adaptability. That ABS has never put your heart in your throat speaks well for highway construction and maintenance where you ride, some of us are not so fortunate.

I have done hard braking with various ABS equipped vehicles on all kinds of road surfaces and road conditions and I've never experienced the ABS being "Fooled". But maybe I've just been lucky. For me, the ABS is a very valid safety tool and was a factor in what model bike I bought. I wouldn't own a heavy weight bike without it.

I have done hard braking with various ABS equipped vehicles on all kinds of road surfaces and road conditions and I've never experienced the ABS being "Fooled". But maybe I've just been lucky. For me, the ABS is a very valid safety tool and was a factor in what model bike I bought. I wouldn't own a heavy weight bike without it.

I am wondering if Harley ABS does a roll off test like cars and trucks do?

Nothing in the article about a wash board surface, one where the tire "jumps off" one ridge and is airborne to the next ridge. When the tire jumps off the first ridge while braking is applied, it stops immediately (no road force against the braking) and kicks in the skid program, releasing the brakes. When the tire hits the next ridge, it starts rolling again, (no braking because of the ABS) and the ABS now re-applies the brake, stopping the wheel instantly, again. The ABS releases and no braking is available for the next ridge, and on and on until you either coast to a stop or hit what is in front of you. When this problem is cured, I might be interested in ABS.

I would wager that when traction is as bad as that on the wet tiles most of us stay home or take a 4 wheeler, thus making ABS a solution without a problem. It does make an expensive gee whiz gadget though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I chose to stay home because of road surface hazards I would never ride. Loose gravel in curves, intersections and construction zones seem to be always present. Slick surfaces from roadway markings and oil and diesel spills are everywhere, especially intersections. Also, I ride on damp and wet roadways. It would seem that these roadway hazards are much more common than the washboard hazard you talk of.
In my opinion ABS solves many problems, and judging from the amount of vehicles that come standard with ABS others think so as well. To me, the best motorcycle crash is the one that doesn't happen and ABS can be huge in crash prevention. Not bad for a gadget.
My opinion only. If it doesn't work for you don't use it.
Here is an opinion on motorcycle ABS:
" Results from recent studies by the Institute and HLDI compared crash rates for motorcycles equipped with optional ABS against the same models without the option. The rate of fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years was 37 percent lower for motorcycles equipped with optional ABS than for those same motorcycles without ABS. In crashes of all severities, the frequency at which collision claims were filed was 22 percent lower for the ABS models.Based on these findings, the Institute in April 2010 petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to require manufacturers to equip all new motorcycles with this technology."

I've been riding since 1978 and I can guarantee that if your ABS is functioning correctly it's going to do a better job of stopping you safely than you can without it.

Well, some of you be right about not needing ABS brakes but I don't think anyone has the expertise that exceeds the technologically build into this proven system. The comments that state they can stop faster without ABS is simply not true. Test have proven ABS stop in a shorter distance than none ABS bikes. There will be arguments on this subject but after millions and millions of dollars of research and expert riders testing this system it is clearly a fact, not opinion, ABS works and saves lives. To each his own but for me, I wouldn't have a bike without ABS brakes.

Harley-Davidson: Anti-lock Braking System - YouTube

Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
To each his/her own, but after having investigated hundreds of accidents over the years, including being a certified accident reconstructionist, I can tell you most people in a panic situation will lock up their brakes, and lose control of their bike, increase their stopping distance resulting in the rider getting involved in an accident either by dumping the bike (in many case's a highside when the rider gets off the locked brake and the wheel rotates causing the bikes rear tire to continue forward thus causing a highside).

If you can not control your bike it makes sense you can not stop it. If you can emergency brake without locking the rear and/or front brakes thats great, I commend you. But unless you practice this technique over and over again your kidding yourself if you think you can stop your bike in an emergency stop situation without locking your wheel(s). I for one am glad to have the ABS, and I'll deal with the rough road situation by slowing down and anticipating a stop the best I can.

Like I said eariler I have practiced emergency braking, and had to qualify quarterly to continue enforcement riding. Now am retired and I still practice this technique, along with slow work etc. to keep my skills up, but I won't fool myself and think it can't happen to me so I'll keep my ABS.

It's an indiviual choice. My only interest in this post is to give what I hope is an experienced, educated opinion. It's your bike, your riding style and your abilities, ultimately it's your choice......Be safe and enjoy the ride!

Back