free website stats program ABS bypass fitting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS bypass fitting

It seems to trick the system into sensing the rear wheel is locking up, when you would be nowhere near a lockup. Also has occurred when braking to a stop while crossing RR tracks if you hit a bump.

It's actually sensing the differing speeds of the wheel as it goes over the irregular road surface and responding to that.

You can have the ABS guys, I'll stick with conventional brakes.:s

Aloha All,
Okay I have an 08 Road King - Police Model. It says it has ABS, but when I recently had to replace a fuse I was looking at the fuse box and there wasn't and ABS fuse in it. I took off the tachometer to fit my windshield bag, so I don’t have an ABS warning light. I have been able to lock the rear wheel in a skid, so should I assume my ABS has been disconnected? I did put a ABS fuse back in it and didn’t notice a difference.
Mahalo,
Needle

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:ABS WARNING LIGHT Recall for 2005 FLHTPI HARLEY DAVIDSON Auto Recalls - Justia Car & Truck Recalls have a look at this does this apply?

For what it's worth...I've been riding bikes for almost 40 years. I am a retired police officer who rode enforcement motors for 8 years total. In that capacity I've had extensive training in handling motorcycles, including decelleration drills. I know I can stop a bike in a danger situation without locking my brakes because I have done it and trained in it. None of my old bikes had ABS, my new bike does and I like it. I've never had to engage the ABS because I still practice panic braking without locking the brake, but I'm happy knowing that I have it if the need ever arose. Having said that I know the frustration of ABS assisted stopping, but for me it's not neough to cause me to disengage the system. Practice and learn how to stop at optium threshold and the ABS will not kick in.

My other concern would be if you disengage the ABS and end up in an accident what would that do to any potential insurance claim. I would think that disengaging a system that was factory installed, with the specific intention of assisting a vehicle in stopping, and that said vehicle was involved in an accident where braking came into play the insurance company/LAWYERS would have a field day.

Again, this is just my opinion for what it's worth......

Only problem I've experience with ABS is when during normal braking on a rough road, I've had it engage and cause a brief sensation of loss of brakes as it releases. It seems to trick the system into sensing the rear wheel is locking up, when you would be nowhere near a lockup. Also has occurred when braking to a stop while crossing RR tracks if you hit a bump.

This is what turns me off from ABS. The SECOND time I almost rear ended the vehicle in front of me in my truck on hot summer afternoons with no ice anywhere in sight, I pulled the fuse. A washboard surface approaching a stop sign (different locations) fooled the ABS and I had no brakes on what would have been a very gentle stop. Until ABS becomes smart enough to read the road surface, it is a "safety" system which has the potential to help 90% of the time and kill you the other 10%. No thanks.

I have to fully agree with artfuentes. I too am a retired motor officer/instructor for over 15 years of enforcement riding. Even though I've experienced some minor clitches, I would never disable the system. There could be that time, when no matter how much training you have, it may save your life. There are too many riders out there that have not trained for hours and hours in emergency braking like art and myself. I do wish the system could be perfected to read the road surface, such as btsom stated above.

so many are afraid of new stuff and the old tired arguments come up .. the harley abs works and dont know whos doing the riding but mine will stop faster than a non abs bike of the same year when you have to get on the binders .. seen it happen ..

my '10 ultra has abs. when i took the erc in april '10, the bike stopped very short in the quick stop manuver. i feel i can really pressure the brakes in a quick stop situation w/o having to worry about wheel lock-up. just squeeze and stomp harder. my rk police is standard brakes. they feel less spongy and give a solid stop but that abs is slicker than a snail trail on ice.

The most efficient braking is that point right before lockup. We practiced this maneuver a lot on our closed track when I was a patrolman. It is called threshold braking. You clamp on the brakes until you feel lockup and then release just a bit to maintain steady braking.
It can be an advanced technique that requires practice to use naturally in a panic situation.
Essentially, ABS does the exact same thing, giving the maximum braking right before lockup. The difference is now everyone can have this enhanced braking technique with out all the advanced training and practice.
There is no practical reason why an ABS system would take longer to stop than a non-ABS system. The ABS forces the bike to use the most efficient method of stopping, which is maximum braking right before lockup. I do not understand the argument that ABS increases stopping distances or takes away control. There is no control in a locked up braking tire.

"There is no control in a locked up braking tire."

And there is little or no STOPPING when the ABS is fooled by a rough surface. Have some understanding that those of us who have had brake function STOLEN by the ABS system in warm, dry conditions will NEVER forget what that feels like. As I said above, when ABS can read and PROPERLY respond to varying road surfaces, then it will be ready for prime time, but not before. I can adjust braking technique for road surface, ABS still lacks that adaptability. That ABS has never put your heart in your throat speaks well for highway construction and maintenance where you ride, some of us are not so fortunate.

"There is no control in a locked up braking tire."

And there is little or no STOPPING when the ABS is fooled by a rough surface. Have some understanding that those of us who have had brake function STOLEN by the ABS system in warm, dry conditions will NEVER forget what that feels like. As I said above, when ABS can read and PROPERLY respond to varying road surfaces, then it will be ready for prime time, but not before. I can adjust braking technique for road surface, ABS still lacks that adaptability. That ABS has never put your heart in your throat speaks well for highway construction and maintenance where you ride, some of us are not so fortunate.

Very well stated and I agree 100% with your logic !

Back