free website stats program ? about switching oil in 1997 EVO | Harley Davidson Forums

? about switching oil in 1997 EVO

orange68

I run the mobil 1 in my 09 ultra and the spectro GL-5 in the trans. and HD + in the primary.
Been telling a friend about he much I like this oil and he wants to switch to mobil 1 and then put the GL-1 in his trans (5-speed). He is concerned that leaks may start since its an older bike. Have had several folks talk about the same thing. Any issues with putting this oil in the older bike ? Thanks

I run the mobil 1 in my 09 ultra and the spectro GL-5 in the trans. and HD + in the primary.
Been telling a friend about he much I like this oil and he wants to switch to mobil 1 and then put the GL-1 in his trans (5-speed). He is concerned that leaks may start since its an older bike. Have had several folks talk about the same thing. Any issues with putting this oil in the older bike ? Thanks

how many miles on the scoot?

I just switched my 97 RK to Mobil 1...it has 59000 miles on it...previous owner always ran regular HD oil..and changed it every 2000..

I don't understand why changing oil would cause leaks???

I like the synthetic (Mobil 1)..I ran in all my other Vtwins..IMO less valve train noise, that Vtwin are notorious for.

switched to syn (mobile1) at 49000 miles on same motor. bike now has around 65k on it. no leaks. just dont overfill it, check the stick around 3.3 qts.

Thanks for the replies: Look like it may be ok to switch, I will pass this info on to my friend and let him decide.
Anyone changed Syn and then had a leak ?

Back