free website stats program " A wHole lot a shaking going on" | Harley Davidson Forums

" A wHole lot a shaking going on"

allan19560

Account Removed
I sure hope someone can help me out on this?. I've got a 91 Glide, EVO 1340 ( 80CI ) and after removing the engine to do a top end and rering it I put new motor mounts, stablizers, did the vehicle alignment, and Timing, I still have a " Good Vibration " through the floor boards at aroung 2500 RPMS. No matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of this. Funny thing is before I did all of this the Vibration was never there. Well at least not on the floor boards. Could this be from the new rings and the new motor mounts??. The only thing I haven't replaced is the rear swing arm soft mounts. I don't think I left anything else out!!. I had bikes all of my life and never had one that kicked my(EDIT) this hard???. I'm completly open to anyones suggestion as well as anyones experience in this area???. Motor runs sweet with the exception of the Vibration. I followed the manual to a "TEE" with the installing of the engine, so I'm almost certain that the motor and primary are not the cause. It's not in the primary chain either. It's like when you excelerate the engine the vibration is felt through out the entire bike, fairing, baggs, ect, ect. I never messed with the bottom end either. I just can't think of anything else. I covered everything that I know of!!! I'm lost???. Any help from this fourm would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks Again in advance!!!. Allan

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost sounds like Crank is out of true .. but you said ya didnt mess witht he bottom End .. im sure someone will be along to give a hand

Well I think your right!!, But like you said I never touched the bottom end. It definitely is coming from the engine. When i take her for a putt I can pull in the clutch at any speed and the VIB goes away. It's definitely engine related. Is it true that if there is a bolt over tighned that it will transfer harmonics through the entire frame??. I just bought 2 new stablizers 1 for ther top and 1 for the front. I'm hopeing that this cures it??. If not then I'm lost for any direction!!!

Well I would not rule out the swing arm work you did, I once had the same vibration mostly felt in the foot boards, after 2 weeks of checking everything , I found a bolt got lodged between my swingarm and frame to be the problem , what happen is prior to the vibration in my boards ,a bolt from my exhaust bracket went missing ,I figured it became highway bound replaced it and forgot about it till it made its way between the swingarm and frame,So with that said I would check on the swingarm work you have done also.

Crocker I never did any work on the swing arm assembly!. When I did the top end I just removed the engine. The Transmission remained in the frame. To date the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the swing arm soft mount. After this weekend if the 2 stablizers don't do the trick then the only thing left is the soft mount in the swing arm. I do believe it's been there since 1991!!. The funny thing is that the vibration was never there prior to removing the engine???. So I'm just wandering if it's isolated to the engine area??. Trans just traveled down a bit after the engine was removed. I would not think that small travel of the transmission would cause all of this??. But i could be wrong!!. Thanks for the response tho!!. Allan

Back