free website stats program A tiny little question... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

A tiny little question...

I removed the torx bolts and replaced with something much better. Also took fin_676 advice on the impact driver, worked like a charm. My 'problem' is solved.

Thanks to all the posters on here. I only wish I knew more about motorcycles so I could actually help on this forum the way I have been helped.

If you stay with the forum long enough and pick up your tools often enough by asking questions and a wee bit of trial and error you may well at some time be in a position to offer advice and it always a good feeling to be thanked for advice given so thank you for your reply
just one other wee bit of advise because you experienced a common problem i always put a wee bit of copper grease on the threads of the bolts holding on the derby cover and that helps with removal

Brian

copper grease on the threads of the bolts...

Brian
I did put anti-seize on the threads. I don't want to go thru swinging a hammer near my derby cover again. It is gouged by the way. But I was never an owner of a show bike so it's no big deal.

I think anti-seize is probobally a grease with a copper content in it as im in scotland we dont get the same products as elsewhere in the world so im not sure of what the content in it is
but it can be important to block the contact of to dissimilar metals most notably in vehicles steel and aluminium alloy as contact between the 2 can cause corrosion and the 2 metals bind together therefore a blocking agent is a good idea and copper is a good blocking agent
so i use a lot of it

Brian

I removed the torx bolts and replaced with something much better. Also took fin_676 advice on the impact driver, worked like a charm. My 'problem' is solved.

Thanks to all the posters on here. I only wish I knew more about motorcycles so I could actually help on this forum the way I have been helped.

Well, I think you have. Helped that is! The members who read this but were too scared to ask for themselves found out thru your question/answer post!

bubbie

If you stay with the forum long enough and pick up your tools often enough by asking questions and a wee bit of trial and error you may well at some time be in a position to offer advice and it always a good feeling to be thanked for advice given so thank you for your reply
just one other wee bit of advise because you experienced a common problem i always put a wee bit of copper grease on the threads of the bolts holding on the derby cover and that helps with removal

Brian
I'm an example of that. :D Occasionally I get to chime in with some useful bit of knowledge I have gained here & share with others. :s

It seems when I ride my '96 Sportster half the time I stop at a light or go to put it in neutral it is hard as heck to get it to shift. But then half the time it shifts absolutely fine. When I'm moving and up or down shifting I have no trouble, only when I'm stopped.

Ideas?

I suspect the clutch might need adjusting. Tried removing the 'derby' cover(I think that's what it's called) but 3 of the bolts feel like they are welded in...I know they aren't but shucks they won't budge.

Jesse, is that you? ;)

Back