free website stats program A tiny little question... | Harley Davidson Forums

A tiny little question...

The Rook

It seems when I ride my '96 Sportster half the time I stop at a light or go to put it in neutral it is hard as heck to get it to shift. But then half the time it shifts absolutely fine. When I'm moving and up or down shifting I have no trouble, only when I'm stopped.

Ideas?

I suspect the clutch might need adjusting. Tried removing the 'derby' cover(I think that's what it's called) but 3 of the bolts feel like they are welded in...I know they aren't but shucks they won't budge.

They can be a bit difficult to remove if they are not out regularly i think its caused by the derbycover deforming slightly and applying extra pressure on the bolts when they get like that i use a hand impact driver and tap it many times with a hammer and eventually they will come loose
ensure you have the correct head for the bolts if they are torx itll be a t27 and they dont usually come in any of the kits and the t25 will strip the head of the bolts
i hope this helps

Brian

As mentioned, sometimes you just have to be very persistent and patient but be very careful not to strip them out.

If you're not the original owner, the last person to install the bolts may have done you no favors and applied some red loctite. In that case you'll have to apply heat to break the loctite's grip first.

Thanks for the responses.

So guys...do I need to adjust my clutch or is the problem something else?

How long have you had the bike? Have you ever adjusted the clutch since you had it?

Get yourself the service manual for your bike and start with the clutch adjustment - pretty simple procedure and you might as well start with the easy stuff and go from there if the problem persists.

It seems when I ride my '96 Sportster half the time I stop at a light or go to put it in neutral it is hard as heck to get it to shift. But then half the time it shifts absolutely fine. When I'm moving and up or down shifting I have no trouble, only when I'm stopped.

Ideas?

I suspect the clutch might need adjusting. Tried removing the 'derby' cover(I think that's what it's called) but 3 of the bolts feel like they are welded in...I know they aren't but shucks they won't budge.

Two things to check is lube level if it is overfull and clutch adjustment. Either will give you the problem you are having.

A problem i have seen is when the clutch lever has a fancy laced leather on it.. It takes up the needed space for dis-engagement and can cause problems.. Pretty but in the way.. also some handles are bent from a previous fall or knock causing the same thing.

signed....BUBBIE

@Dr. Doolittle: I have never adjusted the clutch and have had the bike for years as an almost daily rider.

@Glider: I will check the fluid level when I get that darn derby cover off.

Thanks again for the responses.

I removed the torx bolts and replaced with something much better. Also took fin_676 advice on the impact driver, worked like a charm. My 'problem' is solved.

Thanks to all the posters on here. I only wish I knew more about motorcycles so I could actually help on this forum the way I have been helped.

Back