free website stats program A simple one re: Oil change | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

A simple one re: Oil change

If you have recently changed the oil before winter storage, that is just about as good as a change when entering storage. If you are nearly due a change at the end of the season, do it BEFORE storage and run the machine after the fluid change. It does little good to install fresh oil but leave the old oil IN THE BEARINGS. The first start of the new season will be especially dry if the oil has drained down all winter and you do the first spring start with a brand new, DRY oil filter. If you will be adding fuel stabilizer along with the oil change, going for a ride with the stabilizer in the tank will get it into the carb or fuel injectors for the off season. Changing oil and adding stabilizer WITHOUT running the machine afterward is better than not doing it at all, but it is still a job only part way finished. Circulating the NEW stuff into the places where it belongs finishes the job. This applies to any internal combustion engine going into seasonal storage.

I've used MMO in my old F350 diesel and it made a real noticable difference in the sound of the engine and the fuel mileage, I just never thought of using it in my bikes, but it makes sense. As bad as the corn based gasoline is now I expect the MMO would be a real benefit in keeping the fuel system lubed and smooth and clean. It works well in pneumatic tools,too. Definitly worth a run through.

What is this ( winter storage ) you guys are talking about, I live in the mountains of VA and there is not a month out of the year that I can't take my bike out for a ride. I will admit, some of these rides might be short, but if you have a pair of chaps, leather jacket, gloves, and a mask you can ride. It may not be the most comfortable ride but it is still a ride, and that is what I got my bike for! JMO and not trying to be a smart guy, I just can't stand to see that Road King sitting in the garage looking all lonely! Warm her up before you drain the oil!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used MMO in my old F350 diesel and it made a real noticable difference in the sound of the engine and the fuel mileage, I just never thought of using it in my bikes, but it makes sense. As bad as the corn based gasoline is now I expect the MMO would be a real benefit in keeping the fuel system lubed and smooth and clean. It works well in pneumatic tools,too. Definitly worth a run through.

:D This is one of those products that has been tried and trued, I have always used it in the oil before a change and in the gas tank every other fill. All my air tools get a shot before use and after:s

Back