free website stats program A simple one re: Oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

A simple one re: Oil change

israguard

Good morning everyone,
SPring is around the corner finally and I will be doing my oil change. Bike has been idle all winter and I never cranked it over once. Should I just remove plug and let drain till no more used oil comes out. Or, is it still better to crank engine over and get oil warmed up and then drain ?.

Thanks

I would start and go for a ride... My theory is with a well maintained bike, like mine, that sat since beginning of last November and has about 3,500 miles till next oil change I started it and will continue to ride till next oil change is due.
I used to always change my oils at 1,500 to 2,000 miles and realized that with the way I ride I have spent a small fortune for oil and filters over the 25 years riding.. So since 2008 and buying the Harley, now I just go by the recommended intervals...:s

its always better to drain the oil when its warm or hot. because you get more of the condensation out of the oil tank that way. if you haven't cranked the eng over yet you could remove the spark plugs & spray a bit of pennetrating oil, or fogging oil in the cylinder & let it set a bit. this isn't necessary but its what us old recip guys used to do to acft. before a long
inactive period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting the oil heated up will allow it to flow better it will also circulate through the engine cleaning the internal surfces of contaminants etc and all will be dumped into the drain pan with the oil

Brian

After winter sitting I used to add some Marvel Mystery oil, ride the bike til it was @ operating temperature before draining:D

Did you change oil before parking bike for winter? If so - just crank 'er up & ride off until next service change is due...

After winter sitting I used to add some Marvel Mystery oil, ride the bike til it was @ operating temperature before draining:D
Jack, do you add the Marvel Mystery oil to the oil or the gas before draining? I use MMO sparingly in my gas tank during the course of the summer, perhaps 3 times during the entire summer. Less than an oz., but I do add it. I was just wondering if you added it to the oil or not before draining. Thanks.

Yes, add it to the oil before changing. Add it in ride till up to temperature and change the oil. If I am not mistaken the label says that you can substitute a quart of MMO for oil. I would just top it off and ride it.
I add it to the fuel also. I usually only add it while I am near home as I don't carry it with me. I usually add somewhere less than two ounces per tank.

Back