free website stats program A review of a new to USA muffler packing material | Harley Davidson Forums

A review of a new to USA muffler packing material

bogiediver

bogie here with another review that might interest some.

Had V&H pipes that were too loud for my taste and didn't want to spend big $$$ on new pipes and possibly have to re-tune.

Found a high-temp material made specifically for use in toning down muffler noise called Acousta-fil. Acousta-fil comes woven in a compressed blanket, allowing for easy install; then expands when heated during riding to completely fill the entire baffle-to-pipe void, at a higher density than likely using a tape wrapped, loose fill material.

The review is attached and also available at Home - bogie's Motorcycle Product Reviews (along with my past reviews), including some interesting bench test before and after pictures.

As always, FWIW and JMHO

Attachments

• Review - Acousta-fil Muffler packing.pdf
    227.3 KB · Views: 26
Bogie, thanks for sharing the test results on Acousta-fil. I like the Vance & Hines big shots but was considering the Q-series. This gives me the option to go with the big shots. Thanks.

For those who have read the review already - I need to make a small technical correction.

I mistakenly referred to the material as 'woven'. The material is actually 'non-woven', compressed and held together by the melting thread.

My bad - my thought was 'thread=woven' - wrong on my part.

My apologies - the review has been corrected

Bringing up this older thread for an update.

Acousta-fil now comes in a different, 'boa' style. Different, but just as good.

Check out the review at www.bogiesreviews.webs.com

Not affiliated with any of the manufacturers of reviewed products. Not intended as advertising - simply a review of how the products perform from an enthusiast's point of view.

Back