free website stats program A real strange problem in drive line | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

A real strange problem in drive line

got mine apart enough tonight to see what was wrong
i got home on two 1/4 Lock bolts the spline in the drive Pulley is GONE
the drive pulley wallers all around it took out the primary Seal and Bearing
have not gotten the pulley off yet but im betting BIG money that the Tranny Bearings are shot and it looks like the main input shaft has Wear as well
looks like i got a big rebuild job ahead of me :31:

Eee-Gadd. It sure would be nice to see some pictures of what you found.

I have a million questions as to mileage, brand oil used, maintenance etc,
but I know you can't be in the mood for that now.

I put the bike up on my Red Jack and in 5th gear, roll the rear wheel one way, then back the other way. How would you check drive line slop?

Rode the King yesterday and problem is still there. If i pull the clutch in early, do not feel the jerk or hear the clunk. When i pull off from a stop, there is no noticible looseness or noise. Only when im coming to a stop in hi gear.

John

John,
As far as the drive train slap being excessive. The measured slap should get progressively more as the gear ratio change gets lower, meaning the least slap should be in 1st gear. 2nd gear will have slightly more "slap travel" and so on up to maximum slap in 5th gear.

I have a 6 speed and the bike is near new. When I checked mine I was surprised at how much slap travel I had. Converting the slap into linear bike travel, in 1st gear I have ~1.5" of bike travel with just about EQUAL increases up to 6th gear which had ~3" of bike travel.

Check to see if you get a sudden increase from 4th to 5th gear. My guess is you should not. The same increase you get from 3rd to 4th gear should be about the same from 4th to 5th.

I am new to HD motors and have not yet tore into a HD drive train. But basing what I felt & have seen over the many years of working with machinery, I was really surprised how much slap there was in 6th gear on a brand new (broken in) bike. Having a drive belt being banjo tight, most of my slap has to be in my primary chain because I just can't see the gear box itself having that much gear lash, but I may be wrong.

If you need more accurate measurements let me know.

Hoop

Just did a little research and learned about the "compensating sprocket" that is on the crankshaft. That must be where the bulk of the slap is felt in my drive train.
I just need to get a second bike and tear it apart to the last nut & bolt so all the mystery will be gone !

It doesn`t sound like there is a problem, it sounds like normal slack in the driveline. It sounds like you are just not downshifting properly.

Dan, then i havent learned how to operate a Harley after riding them for 43 years?....
I have owned them all from knucks to 45's. This aint no operator errow, its drive line slipping somewhere. If nature takes its course, the demon will raise its head sonner or later. I just dont want to be 300 miles from home in the rain at night when it does.

John

There is no reason to be in high gear with the clutch engaged while going that slow, I think what you are experiencing is normal drive line lash.

Last edited:
My bike a 2002 Road King broke down on the NY thruway when I let the clutch out a sound similiar to the drive belt teeth gliding around the pulley and I had no forward motion with the engine running and the clutch let out any gear, the bike was towed to the nearest dealer moroneys where they said the drive pulley was stripped on the inside of the primary theres what looks like a drum gear that the drive belt goes around and on the inside of that the transmission drives that gear and the splines on the gear were stripped, I was lucky the tranny splines were good the dealer told me this can happen if the bolt in the front starts to loosen and can take a year to do damage I hadnt noticed any problems until then the part they replaced was called a transmission sprocket part# 40210-85D and cost $150.00 Im thinking maybe that sprocket is partially stripped causing you intermittent problems maybe if you get an exploded view of this part it will better explain itself, as for me I had to pay $230.00 just to get towed 30 miles off the thruway as only one company is allowed to tow on that highway and $600.00 for the complete repair. :pelao

Back