free website stats program A real strange problem in drive line | Harley Davidson Forums

A real strange problem in drive line

2cyclejohn

I will try to describe this as best I can. I ride a 1998 RK police and when slowing down for a stop sighn or light in 5th gear,(about 15 mph) the bike seems to go into neutural for a monent then back into gear. There is a noticible clunk sound sometmes but mostly just the loss of gearing in and out. Like something slips for a second and then right back in.
I have taken the primary apart, clutch, compensator etc but found nothing wrong. Removed rear wheel and checked drive pully etc.
I can duplicate the same issue in forth gear. Lately i just pull in the clutch lever and and down shift so i dont notice the in and out feel of the drive line. I need to find out what the heck is going on before it lets me down on the hi-way. I have had thoughts of the sprocket shaft in the flywheel slipping but thats one peice i think.
ANY IDEAS FROM THE KNOWLEDGE BANK OF HARLEY GURUS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
This has been going on for a year or more.

RKJohn

Hey John,

I am not a Guru by far, but 15 mph in 5th gear, or even 4th gear seems waaa--aay below the power band of the engine on the bike. I have Street bob and some time ago was too lazy to downshift (yeah, I know..) all the way from 6th to 3rd on a half stop (100mph --> 30 mph or so) and let out the clutch while driving around 30 mph in 4th gear.

The result was a "bogging" engine that was on the verge of stalling and this produced a feeling of the engine accelerating and a split second later engine braking. Very uncomfortable to say the least :)

Try downshifting so that you are in the correct gear for the speed.. At 15mph, I would be in 2nd gear. If the problem is still there, maybe someone else can help you along further.

Take care,
Kris

15 MPH is way too slow for 5th gear. I bet if you did the math using your idle RPM X the 5th gear ratio, you would be going WAY above 15 MPH. I bet your actually pulling the engine BELOW idle RPM @ that speed.

Guys....im not pulling in 5th, no throttle applied, just rolling up to a stop before downshifting. Yall know what im talking about, we all have done it a million times.

john

Guys....im not pulling in 5th, no throttle applied, just rolling up to a stop before downshifting. Yall know what im talking about, we all have done it a million times.

john

Still lugging the engine if the clutch isn't pulled in and you are slowing.

john

If you ARE pulling in the clutch and still get the lugging of the engine, I would say your clutch plates are not disengaging.

When you are at a stop in 1st gear, how much more can you pull in the clutch lever PAST the friction zone?

OK. I'll try agin...Rolling stop, speedo says 35, 30, 25, then a looseness, then back in gear, right when i start to pull in the clutch lever.
Clutch is not the problem, I thought it could be ,,so i replaced the plates, also replaced the clutch release ramps and balls. Inspected every part. Still had same problem. its somewhere in the drive live-tansmission area.
Took the top off the trans. and inspected the shift rails, shafts, gears etc. no problem there.
Is it possible the clutch hub bearing or main shaft bearing binding or bad.
There is a lot of slop in the drive line in 5th gear, but i dont know whats normal there.
ANY IDEAS
John

I have a 97 FLHTC and just noticed about the same thing
cruising down the I street and pull off the ramp and hear a clicking sound
pull the clutch and it stops release the clutch and you hear it again
then while parking the bike felt like something was slipping a little then ketching when cooled down went away but came back after runing down the road
I have been told that the splines in the Drive pulley are going out and the metal shavings could be contaminating the bearings was told need to rebuild tranny with new Bearing Have 43,000 miles

Back