free website stats program A question about Rockers. | Harley Davidson Forums

A question about Rockers.

I have never owned a Softail, but I have a question concerning the rear suspension on a Rocker now on my dealership's showroom floor.

First, most Softies, to me, actually do look like hardtails. Their dimensions look proper, and the suspension doesn't seem to break the lines.

However, this Rocker has had the passenger seat removed, and then replaced with a solid, bolt on version. This seat is jacked way up in the air. I was informed that this solid update is actually Harley custom hardware.

The problem is the incredible space between the seat and the top of the rear fender. You could easily place a watermellon into this space.

How come a Rocker needs that much clearance? Did they change the suspension that much to design the original seat?

Don't know about the suspension, but this bike and the crossbones both are short on design. HD did about half of a custom bike. Its like they started with a great idea and then ran out of money half way thru the project. Neither looks finished completely to me.

In solo seat trim, the Rocker looks better to me. From the back it looks like a Kardashian. The few people who own them claim that tire handles like a wheelbarrow.

I never gave it much credence, after all, Tricia Helfer owns a Rocker, and she's pretty scant. I doubt she muscles the bike around.

So, my initial thought was that perhaps that rear tire coupled with the removeable seat created a problem for the suspension. That said, they added more clearance.

But this much?

Would it be because the Fender moves up and down with the rear wheel?(it's attached to the swingarm or something and moves in the same arc as the rear wheel)

I didn't see any air suspension system on the bike. Is it on all model years?

I found this example to show how suspension moves and verify what biscuit stated.....:s The air suspension is a aftermarket purchase..

Thanks, guys. I think I have my questions and concerns answered. Frankly, I was a bit stunned walking up behind the bike, and then seeing the huge tire and the excessive fender clearance.

I did take a picture on my cell phone. If I can figure out how to get it posted, I will. There has been some customization done on the bike.

Back