A new Sundowner Solo for my FXDC. . . . some questions . .

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by markfsanderson, May 22, 2012.

1. markfsanderson

markfsanderson Active Member

Here are some pictures of my new Sundowner seat that I ordered. I really like the look, and I think it'll be a little more comfortable for me as well. If you look at a couple of pictures on this album that I've linked, you'll notice that there are 4 black square rubber standoffs that are glued (or perhaps using dual sided sticky tape) to the fender in order to support the original 2 up seat. I don't want to get rid of the two up, and plan on using it from time to time. So . .

• How do I remove those four black rubber bumpers from my rear fender without ruining the paint? I'd love to maintain a clean look if I can.
    • Any suggestions on how I might mark the location where they contact the bottom of the stock 2 up seat so I can glue/sticky tape them to the seat itself? Again, I want to be able to swap seats out when needed.

Eventually, I"m going to get the quick detach side plates, rear luggage carrier (they're expensive!) . . . that along with some throw over bags should give me a nice clean look and flexibility as well . . . At least that's the hope! We'll see how that works out! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!:newsmile026:

Mark - thanks!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Mark, you can tear the bumpers off, use some GOOP or WD 40 to remove the residue left behind. Put a dab of vaseline on the bottom of your seat and press the seat into place, after you remove the seat you will have a mark on the seat and fender showing you your contact patch so you can install the bumpers:s

3. markfsanderson

Thanks - just tear them off? Cool -that's easy - even I can do that one! Vaseline is a great idea, that will immediately show the alignment on the bottom of my stock two up seat . . . I've read some posts, here and elsewhere, about the importance of cleaning the fender and the rubber bumper before re-installing the 2 up seat . . . scratching the paint eventually. I noted someone attaching a square of leather on the bumper mounted to the seat to ensure that it doesn't scratch the fender paint . . . how does sound? I can't think of any reason why -not- to use it . . .:D

Mark - Thanks!

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

A wee bit of heat from a hot air gun or hair dryer will soften the glue and allow the bumpers to be peeled off a little easier if using a hot air gun use it sparingly on the lowest setting or it will bubble your paint
    A hair dryer would be best as it will not produce enough heat to cause damage but i do not have one no need and if i tried to borrow the grumpy German's one i would get in a lot of trouble

Brian

1 person likes this.
  5. markfsanderson

Great Idea! I have an almost unused salon quality hair dryer I 'inherited' from the ex . . . I'll put it to some good use! I should warm things up nicely . . . Oh - and whats good to clean up vaseline? Goop or somer kind of home de-greaser?

Mark - Thanks!