free website stats program A little mist of fuel. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

A little mist of fuel.

Re: Tools,Time frame,Procedures.

If you're taking your time I would say 4-5 hrs. in time. You can use a single edge razor blade for gasket removal. I use a Exacto type scraper with a flat blade about 3/8-1/2" wide. When you pull the cylinders up, once the piston skirt is out of the cylinder, place clean rags in the spigot holes to keep dirt,debris out of the crank shaft area. Leave them in there until you are ready to put the new base gaskets on.
Depending on your # of miles on the motor you may want to have the cylinders mic'ed for wear. I would use a ball hone and break the glaze in them at least. New rings will depend again on mileage and wear of the cylinders. Evo's are pretty tough. I've replaced rings on 70K mile motors and not needed boring. I will normally pour mineral spirits in the exh. ports & intake ports,individually, and check the valves for leaks while the heads are off.
As far as stock versus Adj. push rod the procedure is the same. Let them bleed down before going to the other cylinder.
tourbox

I have used some in the past but don't recall the brand name. I will usually put it on with a cotton swab rather than spray it on. the stuff I used would eat the paint off the cases or whatever was painted.
tourbox

Re: Tools,Time frame,Procedures.

If you're taking your time I would say 4-5 hrs. in time. You can use a single edge razor blade for gasket removal. I use a Exacto type scraper with a flat blade about 3/8-1/2" wide. When you pull the cylinders up, once the piston skirt is out of the cylinder, place clean rags in the spigot holes to keep dirt,debris out of the crank shaft area. Leave them in there until you are ready to put the new base gaskets on.
Depending on your # of miles on the motor you may want to have the cylinders mic'ed for wear. I would use a ball hone and break the glaze in them at least. New rings will depend again on mileage and wear of the cylinders. Evo's are pretty tough. I've replaced rings on 70K mile motors and not needed boring. I will normally pour mineral spirits in the exh. ports & intake ports,individually, and check the valves for leaks while the heads are off.
As far as stock versus Adj. push rod the procedure is the same. Let them bleed down before going to the other cylinder.
tourbox
I use this approach on the heads, depending on the miles as long as you have the heads off you may want to hand lap the valves and seats and install new valve seals, you can rent a valve spring tool from auto zone or Advanced Auto:s

A lot of good info on replacing the gaskets here are a few things to consider that jumped into my mind
I would allocate between 4 and 6 hours for the job however it may take longer as some things just take longer than expected it can take a couple of hours just to get the exhaust system off if it has been together for a long time
You may need to cut down some allen keys to be able to get to the fasteners on the rear rocker cover and to get the inlet manifold off
The lower rocker cover gasket may be a 2 part paper gasket and is a real pest to get off the top side of the head base gasket is a similar pest
As I have replaced the base gaskets on 2 of my bikes I have the relevant tools and know my bikes well if you are tackling this job for the first time take your time if in doubt about anything stop and ask

Brian

Back