free website stats program A little mist of fuel. | Harley Davidson Forums

A little mist of fuel.

Jonk777

It comes out a little mist of fuel from the rear cyn when you first crank up the motor around the head gasket. I don't smell no fuel in oil tank, nor is the oil thinned. No change in the idle or when running upwards speed. Is this normal for a little mist around the rear cyn head gasket.

It comes out a little mist of fuel from the rear cyn when you first crank up the motor around the head gasket. I don't smell no fuel in oil tank, nor is the oil thinned. No change in the idle or when running upwards speed. Is this normal for a little mist around the rear cyn head gasket.

Do a compression test and check the intake seals, you should have NO leaks

Anything emanating from the head gasket is bad news IMO....Like Jack suggests do a comp. check to make sure.

The previous 2 post got ya covered.... just be sure of the source and do the compression test to confirm the issue.
WAP.gif

Repairing Head gasket

How much effort is it to put head gaskets on a 80 cubic evo in a Fxr frame. Can it be done without taking the motor out. Would it be best to change the base gaskets also. Did Harley suggest that the head studs would be better if turned the opposite way in conjuction of the base gaskets. What are the best gaskets, any self seal. Harley reintroduced new head gasket, if I am thinking correct. What should be the right compression reading on this motor that is stock. Thanks very much.

Re: Repairing Head gasket

I merged these two threads assuming its the same bike and same issue. It will keep it all together to maybe help someone else one day.

You have to change the Base gaskets also. Once the Head is off the cylinder is loose and you loose compression of the base gasket. All of it can be done in the frame. If you have the Original head gaskets then there are O rings on the alignment dowels for the cylinders/heads. The new head gaskets don't require the O ring. Unless your Stud height is wrong or studs loose I wouldn't mess with them. If you have a Service Manual it has the info in it.
tourbox

You have to change the Base gaskets also. Once the Head is off the cylinder is loose and you loose compression of the base gasket. All of it can be done in the frame. If you have the Original head gaskets then there are O rings on the alignment dowels for the cylinders/heads. The new head gaskets don't require the O ring. Unless your Stud height is wrong or studs loose I wouldn't mess with them. If you have a Service Manual it has the info in it.
tourbox

I would add to use a quality gasket set like this Cometic Gasket, Inc. , careful when you remove aLL old material so not to nick the surfaces, and keep in mind the different thickness of gaskets can change your over all stack and compression ratio

Tools,Time frame,Procedures.

In reference to doing a gaskets removal on a 80 cubic evo. Whats the best place to get tools for the job. What is the average time frame to do a head gasket repair with the engine still in place. With stock pushrods, do you do the same procedure as the adjustable pushrods, as in the case of the bleed down procedure only.

Re: Tools,Time frame,Procedures.

I once again merged the above thread with the original to keep this thread together as the same issue/subject.

Back