free website stats program A Little Help With My Bike Selection Please | Harley Davidson Forums

A Little Help With My Bike Selection Please

AV8er

Greetings all; hope I can get some opinions here that will help me with my near term bike selection. While I hope this is the right area for this post, I trust a MOD will move it to the most appropriate area.

My stats: 48 yrs male, 6' 0" and weigh ~270 lbs. Many years of dirt bike riding and racing experience (moto and desert), and while I've ridden street bikes from sport bikes to the "Glide" class, I don't have a lot of seat time on one per se. I live in the Eastern Sierra desert region of SoCal, so I can comfortably ride 9-10 months a year in terms of weather conditions.

Use: I believe the intended use will be something like 75% surface street for work commute and errands, and roughly 25% highway use. The daily commute to work (~15 miles) is in light-moderate traffic at speeds from 25-55 mph. The weekend club rides are on major highways and interstates of the desert southwest, and are usually pretty short and typically within a 250 mile radius of home. While I am married, the Mrs. is not overly joyed at the thought of climbing on the back and going for a ride. So the bike must be suitable (read comfortable) enough 2 up travel, but in all likelihood will be mostly solo riding.

I prefer the open front (no fairing) bikes, so I've been looking at Heritage Softails Classics, Road Kings, Fat Boys and even some of the Glides. I have 4 friends with RKs and they all tell me that's the perfect bike for my situation. Got a few more with RGs, EGs and even an Ultra; they of course say the same thing. They're all trying to help, but they've got me very conflicted at this point. Anyway, my inexperience in the benefits and short comings of the above (for my intended purposes) is really making this a difficult decision for me. Your opinions please!

Welcome to the forum

I would suggest looking at the dyna line for a bit more comfort than the softails and without a fairing. I have had both and I can honestly say they dyna line has a better suspension for more comfort. You may want extended forward controls on what ever bike you choose and I would suggest after narrowing it down to rent the bike of your choice to check it out before buying. Many dealers will let you test ride a bike as long as you have a license, take it for a good long ride if you go this route.

Then there's always the Road King line with the removable wind screen that will give you the best of both worlds and is very comfortable and also handles well to like mine. It has air adjustable suspension in the rear that can be tailored to your liking.

Greetings all; hope I can get some opinions here that will help me with my near term bike selection. While I hope this is the right area for this post, I trust a MOD will move it to the most appropriate area.

My stats: 48 yrs male, 6' 0" and weigh ~270 lbs. Many years of dirt bike riding and racing experience (moto and desert), and while I've ridden street bikes from sport bikes to the "Glide" class, I don't have a lot of seat time on one per se. I live in the Eastern Sierra desert region of SoCal, so I can comfortably ride 9-10 months a year in terms of weather conditions.

Use: I believe the intended use will be something like 75% surface street for work commute and errands, and roughly 25% highway use. The daily commute to work (~15 miles) is in light-moderate traffic at speeds from 25-55 mph. The weekend club rides are on major highways and interstates of the desert southwest, and are usually pretty short and typically within a 250 mile radius of home. While I am married, the Mrs. is not overly joyed at the thought of climbing on the back and going for a ride. So the bike must be suitable (read comfortable) enough 2 up travel, but in all likelihood will be mostly solo riding.

I prefer the open front (no fairing) bikes, so I've been looking at Heritage Softails Classics, Road Kings, Fat Boys and even some of the Glides. I have 4 friends with RKs and they all tell me that's the perfect bike for my situation. Got a few more with RGs, EGs and even an Ultra; they of course say the same thing. They're all trying to help, but they've got me very conflicted at this point. Anyway, my inexperience in the benefits and short comings of the above (for my intended purposes) is really making this a difficult decision for me. Your opinions please!

Even though I have a Ultra and mostly do 2-up,county roads & some main highways , I like your choices of scoots that your looking at! IMO --- I think I would look very hard at the RKC and the Heritage. Matter of fact I think there is a Cobalt blue RKC (SWEET looking bike) for sale on this forum!!! Take your time choosing your scoot and good luck!!

If you're absolutely set against having a fairing, I'd go with the Road King all the way - does everything really well.

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend giving a Street Glide a look and test ride. But then, like everyone else, I'm biased.

Welcome to the forum - you're going to love it here!

Back