A fresh set of tins on my softail

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by fin_676, Jun 8, 2012.

1. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

When i first got my softail custom i was not to sure of the paintwork and whether i liked it and there was the odd bit that was not looking too good
    I started out keeping an eye on ebay for another set of tins that i would have painted black
    i did manage to get a rear fender and a pair of dented tanks so wife took the tanks to her work to get the dents pulled out
    she left that job and went elsewhere and the engineer that had the tanks left a wee while later and she had lost touch with the tanks and the engineer

I eventually found another pair of tanks at a price i was happy to pay and when the arrived i was surprised at the very good condition of the pair of tanks they came off a 97 heritage softail colour sinister blue pearl
    I took my rear fender tanks and an aftermarket front fender to a local ford dealer and asked the paint shop if they could match the colour of the tanks on the fenders

One weird thing i found out during this process was the cruiser of the softail family the softail custom has a 5.2 gallon tank and the touring model the heritage softail has a 4.2 gallon tank so i have lost a wee bit of range but the bike looks a lot better

Brian

Attached Files:

2. EnjoyingTheRyde

EnjoyingTheRyde Junior Member

Looks good Brian... :)

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Nice work Brian. It looks great.

4. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

It looks great Brian.

5. Scrappy

Scrappy Active Member

Im a fan of that color, looking good.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Nice job Brian, refreshing to see a classic bike like that with the factory cross over still in place:s

7. lorne

lorne Senior Member

looks great Brain...keep on enjoying:bigsmiley12:

8. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Very nice Brian, I like it, I like it!

9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I also like the look of the stock exhaust system with the cross over pipe and the classic shape of the mufflers and i do have 3 sets of the mufflers 1 set stock (for M.O.T. inspection) 1 set that flows a bit better and 1 set that have no restriction at all
    I tend to use the mid way set most of the time

Brian