free website stats program A confusing fuel problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

A confusing fuel problem

Well, I tried 2 different gas caps and it made no difference. Bike is in the shop. I'm not a mechanic but I do understand the mechanics of the engine for the most part. Now I'm really confused. Hope Randy's crew can find it soon. I'll post the results, probably in a couple days if all goes well. Thanks again.

Got the bike back from the shop. Had trash in the needle/seat and around the petcock again. Randy replaced the needle/seat, the inline fuel filter and put on a different float. (don't know why) and it runs great. Guess I'll have to remove and coat the tank after all.

Got the bike back from the shop. Had trash in the needle/seat and around the petcock again. Randy replaced the needle/seat, the inline fuel filter and put on a different float. (don't know why) and it runs great. Guess I'll have to remove and coat the tank after all.

Hope you didn't have to SELL Low and BUY Back High...

LOOK just how simple this turned out.... I wonder How Many Right answers there were in this thread? No, I'm not going back to Look. GOes to prove, Look at the obvious first.. ..:coffee

signed....BUBBIE

Well Bubbie, I agree about the obvious things first. But I removed and drained the tank through a filter and saw no trash. drained and flushed the tank and looked inside w/ a flash light. From what I could see, no real rust or scale. Petcock was clean and float bowl was clean. Not being much of a mechanic I assumed the rest of the carb was ok....wrong. I had the tank treatment kit before I put it back together thinking all looked ok and didn't need it....wrong again. But I still have the tank cleaning kit...even a blind squirrel gets a nut occassionally. lol So now I remove and clean and coat the tank. At least I've done the R & R once already, huh. I may have made a mistake buying a bike this old without more mechanical experience. Well see, I guess.

Last edited:
Well Bubbie, I agree about the obvious things first. But I removed and drained the tank through a filter and saw no trash. drained and flushed the tank and looked inside w/ a flash light. From what I could see, no real rust or scale. Petcock was clean and float bowl was clean. Not being much of a mechanic I assumed the rest of the carb was ok....wrong. I had the tank treatment kit before I put it back together thinking all looked ok and didn't need it....wrong again. But I still have the tank cleaning kit...even a blind squirrel gets a nut occassionally. lol So now I remove and clean and coat the tank. At least I've done the R & R once already, huh. I may have made a mistake buying a bike this old without more mechanical experience. Well see, I guess.

No, You went the RIGHT direction long ago. IT just didn't work out.. Then you got invvolved with US and went BANANAS...

You did the obvious thing I would of, Even when I suggested to change out the carb with a friend... You were SMART not to go there... OR DID YOU?

Your friend would of been mad about the Junk in his carb:lolrolling

Let us know How it goes and IF it last...

I have a weed machine that sat LONG TIME and I ordered new carb parts for it and can't get it going.. I sprayed and did the similar,,,,,,,,,OKAY, this is not a garden forum..

I'll get it soon, as it sound Just like your problem all over again....:51:

You will learn ,,,,,"it's all in a life time",,,, "nothing is carved in stone":newsmile04:

Have fun with the bike,, especially when it is running right.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie well said, I was thinking the same. Some times I overlook the obvious or like Murf am not 100% confident but give it my best shot and have to turn to others for assistants.

YOU GUYS gotta REMEMBER,,,

a VERY smart man (glider) once told me

***********"IT Tain't over til the Biggest Lady sings"

well Kinda like that:D :lero :newsmile055::lolrolling:lolrolling

signed....BUBBIE

Well, the tank is off...again. Will treat/etch, neutralize and coat it tomorrow. Getting ready for dollar beer night at local watering hole on Thursday. Will put on a few hundred miles before I'm comfortable that I got it this time. Thinking I bought a bike that was too old for me without mechanical knowledge. But I have to be sure it's fixed before I will sell.

Last edited:
Well, hope I'm not jumping the gun but I put around 70 miles on bike yesterday. All miles were at 60-70 mph and experienced no issues. My fuel ga. quit but I'm hoping all it is is a sticky needle cause I've got power as the guage light is on. Don't know if I can access the needle but if all else fails I will guage (no pun intended) fuel level with trip meter. Thanks for all the help. Once again I say that this is the best forum of any kind I've ever experienced.

Back