free website stats program '99 sportster shuts off after a few miles,no spark,runs again when cool | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'99 sportster shuts off after a few miles,no spark,runs again when cool

I have also ridden my Shovel with the cover off to keep it cool. The air blowing across it kept it cool enough to get me home, about 12 miles. It had been cutting off about every 5 miles. When home I tested it with a heat gun, wife's hair dryer will work also (don't tell her--lol), then cool it with my air compressor hose. Cut out and bang when hot, but would smooth out when cooled with air.
tourbox

Quick question,since my ignition module stops operating when hot do you think it's possible to reposition it?
Earlier models had only a trigger under the nosecone and the ignition module was behind the triangular cover to the rear of the battery but I think on your model it is all integrated in 1 unit that has to be located where it is as it has rotating parts that are driven from the cam gear in the gear case and the wiring harness would need to be changed so much more expensive to try and relocate it

Brian

Bryan is correct. Yours can't be relocated due to rotating parts per Bryan. If you remove the plate be sure to mark it's location in the nose cone. That sets your timing also.
tourbox

Thanks guys,relocation is out of the question now. Haha.. ordered an ultima programmable single fire ignition module from catalyst cycles. Hope that would solve my problems

Just for an update,installed my ultima programmable ignition module. It fired right up! Tested it with a 125 mile ride with no problems. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Back