free website stats program '99 sportster shuts off after a few miles,no spark,runs again when cool | Harley Davidson Forums

'99 sportster shuts off after a few miles,no spark,runs again when cool

TommyT84

Hi,I'm new to the forum and I'm from the Philippines. My 99 sportster 883 is shutting down after when hot,between 12 to 20 miles. After it cools down about (about 30 mins) it starts right up. I already replaced ignition coil and spark plug wires to no avail. Please help me diagnose my problem. Are there codes for a 99 sportster?

I'm not very familiar with sportsters so I'm Not sure if the sportsters have a crank sensor but that would be a good possibility if it does, if not then I've seen ignition modules cause the same symptoms in older Chevy cars atleast. Just something to look into until someone more knowledgeable with these bikes responds, good luck

It is not uncommon for sportsters to have this problem caused by the ignition module overheating, take a can of air duster with you next time you ride bike when bike stops open the nose cone and spray the ignition module with the air as it comes out very cold it should cool the module down enough for the bike to start and run if that is the case you then need to replace the ignition module

Brian

Thanks for the quick reply guys. The nose cone is the one with the "5" and riveted right? .. anyway any suggestions on a good ignition module? I need to be sure coz it takes a lot of money shipping it here to the Philippines plus the modules itself is expensive. Thanks again guys!!!

It is on the right side gear cover and has 2 rivets, unless it has been replaced before. The HD price is $261.16. You could check in Drag Specialties, Tucker Rocky(Bikers Choice), or Custom Chrome for replacement types. Reference them to your year & model, i.e. Hugger or Custom 883.
tourbox

I'm not sure how the venting works on your Sporty tank but would make sure it is working properly.

Thanks tourbox..
As of the venting ,it works fine. Realized there was no spark when it shuts down when hot,I checked the plugs when it happened the last few times. Spark only returns when it cools down abit

The round cover with the 5 on it is the correct location for the ignition module it is fairly common practice to drill out the rivets and replace them with self tapping screws the number 5 on the cover denotes a 5 speed gearbox standard on the 883 from 93 model on

Brian

Back