free website stats program 99 Road King Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

99 Road King Problems

fwcole

Hi everyone. Trying to fix a 99 RK. The problem with it is the fact it set up for about a year while a buddy of mine recovered from some medical procedures.
When he got ready to start riding again it started up and ran alright but when he got going down the road it died. we rebuilt the carb, checked and replaced the battery and cleaned and tightened grounds.Also checked the ignition switch and connections under the dash. Its putting out 6 codes-
1.speed sensor output shorted low
2.speed sensor output shorted high or open
3.speed sensor shorted high
4.speed sensor shorted low
5.speed power over voltage
6.speed power shorted open

Seems to start and run when its cold but once it warms up starts sputtering then dies. At which time it has no fire. It continues to have no fire until it cools back down then spark comes back and it will start back up. Ive seen these symptoms before that end up being a ckp, but the codes are throwing me off. Any suggestions out there?

There are that many DIFFERENT Vss codes? I could see two,, maybe even 4 but six different codes? What are the code numbers. The only charts I could find here started at the year 2000.

So you must have a separate ignition module that is crank triggered. (?)

Its 1999 RK classic I dont know the letter designation. As far as checking the codes i used the speedo and odometer button and then called a dealership and they told me the codes meanings. Do the carb models use the same codes as Morelli?

Do the carb models use the same codes as Morelli?

Don't know.

Those codes your reading can't be correct. No way. There can't be six different error codes for one VSS pick-up.

Regroup and start over. I would get the FLXXX number correct 1st so you know what your looking at.

I have not had any luck finding details of DTC's codes for the 1999 FLHRC. Maybe someone with the same year bike may have a manual that will describe them. Or maybe Glider will stop in and see this thread and help you out with the answer..

Well Hoople, We got to thinking about the codes being wrong and the symptoms, decided to replace the ckp. Fixed it right up. Still wish I knew if there was a way to check the codes for the early TC carb models.

Back