free website stats program '99 Road King no start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'99 Road King no start

had the battery load tested at Advance...552 CCA's.

It surprises me that your battery tested at 552 CCA's, ??

Usually a load test will tell you the voltage the battery held when loading the battery at 1/2 of its rated capacity for aprox 30sec.

When loaded this way, a good battery will not fall below 10V when the load is applied for aprox 30 sec.

Charged the battery overnight. It had 13.5 volts when I put it back in the bike, switch on, kill switch off, hit the start button and nothing.

when you say Kill switch off, you didn't by accident have the stop/run in the stop position?

If it was, there would be no action at the starter, however your fuel pump would also not initialize.

Might I suggest you still may not know the condition of your battery.

Might I suggest you still may not know the condition of your battery.

+1

Did you ever jump the starter (in neutral) like Jack suggested. At least with a good battery it should turn over decent.

Do you have a TSSM with a key fob? Could be a key fob battery..??
Check for codes.

If you are not getting power to the left blinker switch... the horn is tied to power there.

Okay...another update on the '99 RK no start dilemma...I was able to at least start it by jumping the solenoid connections...so somewhere between the run switch and the battery is the problem. I guess my next step will be taking the right switch housing apart and inspecting the wiring. The fact that there is no engine light, horn, and directional lights tells me that some circuit is "dead". Anymore input out there? (not ready to take it to the stealership)

Okay...another update on the '99 RK no start dilemma...I was able to at least start it by jumping the solenoid connections...so somewhere between the run switch and the battery is the problem. I guess my next step will be taking the right switch housing apart and inspecting the wiring. The fact that there is no engine light, horn, and directional lights tells me that some circuit is "dead". Anymore input out there? (not ready to take it to the stealership)

See post #7, others have had similar issues and the start/stop switch was either carotid or bad.

Update on my dead RK...pulled the tank off to look for chaffed wiring...all the protective sheathing is in place and in good shape...disassembled the right hand switch housing and inspected ....all looks clean and tight...removed headlight and looked for broken/loose wires (none). With the ign. switch on there is no voltage to the speedo..(thus no engine light). Could this be a defective ECM? I'm really pissed now and may just breakdown and take her in. Anymore thoughts out there?

I believe there are 3 wires on the ign switch, one has power from the battery.
Have you checked for voltage AT the switch?
If you have it there, try switching the switch to IGN and see if voltage is present on any of the other wires as they would be sending voltage to other circuits in the bike.

Back