'99 Road King no start

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by RKrulz, Apr 12, 2015.

1. RKrulz

RKrulz New Member

Hi guys....Help please! Put a fully charged battery in my '99 RK this Spring and she fired right up...went out two days later and nothing...no engine light, but I do have head/tail lights, I can hear the fuel pump running and a faint "clicking sound" from the ECM. There are 12 volts at the circuit breaker and the starter solenoid. Any Ideas? Thanks.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

12.7 volts is a fully charged battery, charge the battery and check it again
    Welcome to The Forum
    Harley Davidson Forums
    Follow this link

3. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

You said a "fully charged" battery but didn't say how old the battery is. Sounds like a dying battery to me. Take it to Auto Zone or Advanced Auto and have it load tested. I think a new battery is in your future.

4. chief08

chief08 Member

make sure kill switch IS ON

5. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Also make sure ALL cable ends are clean and tight.

6. RKrulz

RKrulz New Member

Hi guys...appreciate all the feedback...here's an update..had the battery load tested at Advance...552 CCA's. Charged the battery overnight. It had 13.5 volts when I put it back in the bike, switch on, kill switch off, hit the start button and nothing. I removed all cables, cleaned them and reinstalled..it seems like the starter is not getting the message to engage?...What's also strange is that the directional lights and horn don't operate when the switch is in the on position. Any more ideas out there?

7. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Maybe try cleaning the on/off switch, might be corroded and not sending power. Recheck all the fuses might not hurt.

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Check for voltage @ the main starter lug it should read battery voltage, with run switch on jumper across the solenoid did it start?

9. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

MAKE DOUBLE SURE IT'S IN NEUTRAL BEFORE TRYING THIS AT HOME! Caps intended.... :newsmile024:

10. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

You just put the battery in, could you have disturbed some wiring near there?

Could a ignition switch be the culprit? Blinkers & horn should work even with the kill switch on (killed). Try wiggling it a bit with horn pressed for fun.