free website stats program 99 FLHTCUI clutch problems. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

99 FLHTCUI clutch problems.

The neutral light does work. My problem is that when i come to a stop i can't put the bike into neutral, I have to turn off engine, also, when i start the bike (of course in neutral) it ever so slightly will pull forward. I thought that since the clutch lever engagement is very quick from the handlebar that i just needed to adjust the cable but that didn't help. I have taken the primary cover off and the oil has a burnt clutch smell to it. Thanks everyone for your input! LM

A burnt smell in the primary and especially if the fluid is very black usually indicates burnt coils on the stator. If you still have the primary open, I would suggest taking the compensator, clutch basket and chain off and pulling the rotor so you can get a peek at the stator. If it completely burns up, or even if a few more coils go, it could ruin the VR.

TQ

I bought a 99 FLHTCUI this past March from an 80 year old man. The bike had been sitting for three years in a barn. The bike only had 2200 miles or so. New fuel pump, battery, and oils and good to go. Had problems with shifting into neutral, but adjusting the primary chain took care of that right away, it also made the bike a little quieter too. You would never figure that the primary chain would affect finding neutral, but it does. Also, after using a different synthetic oil in the trans and hydraulic in the primary, it got even quieter, smoother, and easier to find neutral. I'd tell ya which oils, but.........

Just an update, I pulled the outer primary cover and disassembled the clutch. It is in good shape. I see no reason to replace anything here. While chatting with a friend i was spinning the clutch basket and noticed it was not true. Upon further inspection with a dial indicator we found it out 15 thousands. How on earth did the shaft get bent? LM

I have never seen it but happen my buddy bent his main shaft trying to pull wheelies on his decker.

Other issue is pulling off the drive pulley without the right tool.

Thats what i'm thinking too. It's a theft recovery and beside missing radio and ignition switch and some damage to one of the bags we are thinking someone had it out racing it or trying to pull wheelies. Thanks, LM

Other issue is pulling off the drive pulley without the right tool.

I have the large socket, about a 1-15/16, 4 inch deep ,if i remember right and i think it's reverse threads. I may as well put on a new belt while i'm at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try bringing the rpm's up just a little. That's what I have to do on mine & it's a 99 also. Good luck

Toby

I have the same problem thats how I got to this siteanything you do to correct this is a help to me thanks Russ

Before you buy new friction and steels plates, take yours out and soak them in brake cleaner, dry them out real good and then give them a day or two soak in primary oil. Should cure your problem on the cheap.

Before you buy new friction and steels plates, take yours out and soak them in brake cleaner, dry them out real good and then give them a day or two soak in primary oil. Should cure your problem on the cheap.

#1 on soaking the clutch plates if you want hem to work right:s

Back