free website stats program 99 FLHTCUI clutch problems. | Harley Davidson Forums

99 FLHTCUI clutch problems.

LegacyMan

Hi Guys, I purchased this bike yesterday and the clutch will not disengage all the way so i can get neutral. I adjusted the clutch as per the video on HDTimeline and no luck. I have tried again without the 1/2 turn out and just for grins did a half turn in and i still can't get it to disengage. I'm thinking it's not an adjustment type of repair at this point. The bikes rides and shifts ok but i'm thinking the friction discs or steels are warped. What do you guys think? She shows 18k on the odometer but has had a rough life (theft recovery) and lack of maintenance.
Thanks, LM

Hi Guys, I purchased this bike yesterday and the clutch will not disengage all the way so i can get neutral. I adjusted the clutch as per the video on HDTimeline and no luck. I have tried again without the 1/2 turn out and just for grins did a half turn in and i still can't get it to disengage. I'm thinking it's not an adjustment type of repair at this point. The bikes rides and shifts ok but i'm thinking the friction discs or steels are warped. What do you guys think? She shows 18k on the odometer but has had a rough life (theft recovery) and lack of maintenance.
Thanks, LM

Check the primary chain adjustment, is the cable stretched, try lubing it and what about the tranny oil?

Thanks for the quick response Jack! The cable is in great shape and the fluid is a little low but in good shape. I plan to pull the primary cover eventually because i need to replace the gasket. I'm not sure what the link is between primary chain adjustment and clutch disengagement is but I can look at it if necessary. Thanks again, LM

Thanks for the quick response Jack! The cable is in great shape and the fluid is a little low but in good shape. I plan to pull the primary cover eventually because i need to replace the gasket. I'm not sure what the link is between primary chain adjustment and clutch disengagement is but I can look at it if necessary. Thanks again, LM

How To Adjust Primary Chain Video - Harley Davidson Community if the chain is not properly adjusted you will have problems let us know how it turns out, always glad to help when I can, like Tank says this is A GREAT COMMUNITY but watch out for too many caps thats how I got my Capital Jack name LOL good luck

Check to make sure the trans oil is clean and sufficient. If the bike sat for a long time, the clutch plates could have some dried oil film. It may loosen up after some riding. I almost always shift into neutral just before coming to a complete stop.

This bike came out of a shed at a farm and i rode it home friday night and went for a ride yesterday to shake her down. It's snowing now and a good time to tear her down to inspect the primary chain and clutch basket. I'll order some gaskets tomorrow. LM.

This bike came out of a shed at a farm and i rode it home friday night and went for a ride yesterday to shake her down. It's snowing now and a good time to tear her down to inspect the primary chain and clutch basket. I'll order some gaskets tomorrow. LM.

Could be as simple as sticky clutch plates, where changing the primary fluid and tranny fluid could cure it, best of luck

Thanks, LM

How are you determining if it is in neutral, the light? If so, there may be a problem with the neutral switch, or the bulb itself.

TQ

The wrong type of oil or too much oil in the primary can affect the operation of the clutch as the coating of oil on the plates assists in the hold on the clutch in the same way as licking a rubber sucker can help it stick to a window each of the friction pads works just like a little sucker
if you have trouble selecting neutral when bike is at idle try and raise the revs and hold the clutch in for 10 sec this will help the friction pads break free and oil on the plates will be thrown off by the greater centrifugal force of the clutch spinning at twice the speed

Brian

The neutral light does work. My problem is that when i come to a stop i can't put the bike into neutral, I have to turn off engine, also, when i start the bike (of course in neutral) it ever so slightly will pull forward. I thought that since the clutch lever engagement is very quick from the handlebar that i just needed to adjust the cable but that didn't help. I have taken the primary cover off and the oil has a burnt clutch smell to it. Thanks everyone for your input! LM

Back