free website stats program 98 Ultra Running Hot | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

98 Ultra Running Hot

yes they put a mech. oil pressure gauge on... the mech gauge has 6-7 psi when my gauge reads 0psi.

(1) i have mentioned to the mechanic about synthetic and a oil cooler, he really doesn't like synthetic and as a last resort an oil cooler...

(2) i thought about taking the lowers off.. but that is how the bike was made and you would think that it should run with or without them on with no problems...

(3) i asked him about the oil pump and they say that it is working just fine...

(4) i'm about to go over there and just say to him get the fricken bike tuned like you were supposed to and i'll be on my way... by the time i get it back summer will be over with...

Thanks

(1) I would do the 20/50 or 20/60 by redline(others will also work)add the oil cooler

(2) I would take off the lowers.(any way to cool the bike will help)

YES Lowers are There and SO is the Too Lean fuel condition HD has set up on the bike DOESN'T mean it is Right either.

(3) Yes it is working but if sumping is the problem I would still check it.

HE knows HOW...Not that hard to LOOK at the amount Remaining In the bottom of the motor

(4) I do agree to get the bike back and do the Improvements yourself and ride..

signed....BUBBIE

(1) I would do the 20/50 or 20/60 by redline(others will also work)add the oil cooler

(2) I would take off the lowers.(any way to cool the bike will help)

YES Lowers are There and SO is the Too Lean fuel condition HD has set up on the bike DOESN'T mean it is Right either.

(3) Yes it is working but if sumping is the problem I would still check it.

HE knows HOW...Not that hard to LOOK at the amount Remaining In the bottom of the motor

(4) I do agree to get the bike back and do the Improvements yourself and ride..

signed....BUBBIE

he is not working on my bike anymore... i have waited very patiently for him and his brother to finish my bike... here is the thing, with all the work i had done the final thing to do was to fine tune the fuel injection system and the power commander... neither has been done and i'm tired of the excuses... i found out, to properly fine tune this bike it should be put on a dyno, which they don't have... so my local stealer is going to finish the work... i'm so fed up that i will pay them to finish the job... then maybe i can pound out a few miles to see if the other problems have disappeared... if i kept waiting for them to finish what they started summer will be over and winter will be back and i would have not rode at all this year... i will keep you posted as to what has happened...

i did buy a analog temp. dipstick for the oil so i can keep an eye on the oil temp now along with the oil pressure... i'm just hoping that the bike is running lean and the fine tuning of the injection system will cure the excess heat that i feel... i will also take the lowers off and i know i will see an improvement from that alone...

thanks

i have had the whole top half of the engine basically replaced new pistons/rings, cam/bearings, cylinders bored to 9.5, valve job, heads cleaned up, power commander, big sucker air cleaner...

Sixteen posts later? I would have mentioned all this work in the first post.

sorry dude... your right i should of mentioned it but that shouldn't make that much a difference... it didn't run like this before i took it to him... and it shouldn't run like this now...

according to my local stealer that all this work that done is ok... it just probably needs to be tuned properly...

i will have to wait and see...

thanks

sorry dude... it was running hot before i had all this work done...THIS IS WHY I HAD THE WORK DONE..!!... your right i should of mentioned it but that shouldn't make that much a difference... it didn't run like this before i took it to him... and it shouldn't run like this now...

he told me that at least one of the head gaskets were blown, which then lead to boring the cylinders because there was some odd wear marks in the cylinder walls, new pistons/rings, new cam/bearings, head worked over w/valve job... etc...

according to my local stealer that all this work that was done is ok... it just probably needs to be tuned properly...

i will have to wait and see...

thanks

I had a problem with low oil preasure, excessive heat and rougher idle after riding for awhile. The problem turned out to be a bad Throttle Position Sensor. As the trottle was opened the resistance would actually rise causing the fuel to go leaner as the amout of air increased. At some point way beyond just crusin the sensor would go back the other way. When crusing the engine was running lean. A new TPS fixed it. This may or may not be whats wrong, but it is something to check.

I had a problem with low oil preasure, excessive heat and rougher idle after riding for awhile. The problem turned out to be a bad Throttle Position Sensor. As the trottle was opened the resistance would actually rise causing the fuel to go leaner as the amout of air increased. At some point way beyond just crusin the sensor would go back the other way. When crusing the engine was running lean. A new TPS fixed it. This may or may not be whats wrong, but it is something to check.

thanks... i'll let my dealer know to possibly check this out also...

Back