free website stats program '98 Road King idle speed adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

'98 Road King idle speed adjustment

My engine has started ideling up and down, whether cold or warm. My normal idle is around 750 but it will run up to 1100-1200. Popping the throttle will not change this. I think the adjustment is on the backside of the throttle body? Also, I believe the neccessary tool is a long T-40 Allen. I can't see or feel any place on the backside to do the adjustment. The engine is an EVO with a Stage 2 and an Arlen Ness "Big Sucker". Any and all info and advise will be appreciated. Hope to fix this without a trip to the Dealer!!! I looked at other posts but nothing goes back to "98.
Thanks, Swede

On my 97 fxds evo... Thinking back, it was a Screw adjustment right where the throttle cables come together in a bracket..

To ME 750 is too low, I would up it to no less then 950 idle rpm IMO and Harley's too.. Reasoning: is the oil pressure will Increase at a faster idle, also the electrical will charge better at that faster idle..:newsmile055:

Yes, they do Sound good at the "Low Idle" and IF that is what you want so be it.

Could also be a dirty/debris in the carb, IF carbed? Or a vacuum leak

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie is correct on a carb'ed model. If it a Marrelli(sp) unit it is different.
You need a T10 if I recall from my '99. There is a cold & a warm adjustment.
Abit more complicated

On my 97 fxds evo... Thinking back, it was a Screw adjustment right where the throttle cables come together in a bracket..

To ME 750 is too low, I would up it to no less then 950 idle rpm IMO and Harley's too.. Reasoning: is the oil pressure will Increase at a faster idle, also the electrical will charge better at that faster idle..:newsmile055:

Yes, they do Sound good at the "Low Idle" and IF that is what you want so be it.

Could also be a dirty/debris in the carb, IF carbed? Or a vacuum leak

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry, I stand corrected...the idle was 850! Also its an injected model

[QUOTE=Jack Klarich;452643

Thanks Guys! The one link, the PDF has been dropped. But I looked into the other sites and they have given me a direction to head.
Appreciate all the info and help!!!!

Back