free website stats program 98 RK Front Brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

98 RK Front Brakes

rockerz

After riding my FXR4 for the last seven years I must have got spoiled by how well the front brakes work. On my 98 RK that I just bought, there is quite a difference. I know its a heavier bike and the FXR4 has dual piston calipers and the 98 RK has single, so i don't expect it to stop quite as well. My question is, would it make any difference changing to a different pad, and what pad might give me a little more stopping performance. It has oem pads on it now and they are like new.

After riding my FXR4 for the last seven years I must have got spoiled by how well the front brakes work. On my 98 RK that I just bought, there is quite a difference. I know its a heavier bike and the FXR4 has dual piston calipers and the 98 RK has single, so i don't expect it to stop quite as well. My question is, would it make any difference changing to a different pad, and what pad might give me a little more stopping performance. It has oem pads on it now and they are like new.

Welcome to The Forum, You may try braided hoses and Lyndal pads:s

Thanks for the reply Jack. Got braided hoses already. Maybe I am expecting too much.

My 97 FLHT did not stop the way I liked, try the lyndal pads, less fade, the older calipers do not work as good as the newer style, Harleys only downfall IMO, but they are getting there now, Do you have the air anti dive front end and is it working properly?

=================================================

Thanks for the reply Jack. Got braided hoses already. Maybe I am expecting too much.

Brake Pad Brands (What's your choice?) - Harley Davidson Community here you go :s

================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Well actually it has the Progressive gas cartridges, so front end dive is not an issue. It handles great, better than the FXR4.

Does your front brake feel spongy? My road king always felt spongy, I took it into the shop for some other work and the sercvice manager called me and said the master cylinder was bad. I ended up swapping out the cylinder (did this myself to save service charges) and never had that spongy feeling again. Braking power also imporoved dramaticly. The spongyness was always like that so I never really gave it much thought, however; since then I have noticed a lot of RK have this problem.

my '01 had a soft lever and i thought it was the master cylinder. guys here advised cleaning the pistons thoroughly and putting it back together. hard lever and solid stopping. factory pads.

Well it does feel more spongy than my FXR. Are you talking about a complete disassembly of the calipers? I guess that is a good place to start, and cheaper that a new master cylinder.

Well it does feel more spongy than my FXR. Are you talking about a complete disassembly of the calipers? I guess that is a good place to start, and cheaper that a new master cylinder.

No just a good cleaning of the pistons and hardware, Would not hurt to flush fluid once a year Follow the link I posted it will show you how:s

Back