free website stats program 98 fxdl-key switch or startor/stator | Harley Davidson Forums

98 fxdl-key switch or startor/stator

flyin64

i thought i saw some posts just like my issue but they went a different direction. if there is a self help or elect forum post please send em my way

98 dyna low rider
new startor-3 yrs ago
new battery this year
new plugs, wires this season

turn key
press start switch
press ignition switch
sluggish startor but she fired-took it for a 45 min ride
parked her and have full charge on battery
repeat above and heard half a "click" and then nothing
tried it all again and got zippo from the ignition
no lights, even at key switch

a few days ago i noticed that when the key was on the odometer disply was slow in appearing but lights came on immediately

look forward to replies - stay safe all

mark

You may want o remove the battery terminals and clean and reinstall them , neg off first and on last. Remember there are two ends to both cables.

If not that then check the cables themselves for resistance.

Harley Davidson Community

Also check the ignition switch connections for any corrosion.

Last edited:
What The Boss said and add some dilectric grease to all electrical connections especially under the rubber boot at the starter cable:s

Just because it is a new battery doesn't mean it is good. I would check my new battery first. That is the easiest thing to do. In the wind.

Pops

Just because it is a new battery doesn't mean it is good. I would check my new battery first. That is the easiest thing to do. In the wind.

Pops

Thats a good point. I once had 2 bad new batteries in a row-it drove me crazy at the time as I believed the batteries must be good each time.
The second bad one had an almost invisible crack around one of the terminals.

Back