free website stats program 98 fxdl engine just quits help! | Harley Davidson Forums

98 fxdl engine just quits help!

JzFXDL

Hey fellow Riders, im new here and see this is one of the best HD forms out there ,that being said I m in search of an answer to a problem. I recently acquired a 98 FXDL 103ci muki 2 carb thunderheader se coil & plugs bike goes i mean it gets up and goes rides and starts great the first week i had her no problems rode 500 miles or so....ok. last week it was nice figured i take her out and rode maybe 25 miles and was at a stop light when all of a sudden nothing ! it was as if some one hit the kill switch. then a loud bang out of exhaust. after sitting on side of road [not a good feeling] for 30 mins or so she fired up and i got about 10 miles and same thing. i still have power to lights and starter turns over but i can just feel somethings not right ,again after waiting 30 mins or so it fires right up runs great then repeats. after finally getting her home i went thru and visually looked for any bare or loose wires,nothing.i changed coil , no change im tired of chasing its costing to much i bought my shop manual and it helped a bit but im not a good reader more a doer. any suggestions ? i tried her again today its seems as soon as she gets to a certain temp then just shuts off then gives out a loud back fire /pop. any help is appreciated...if i cant figure it ill have to bring her to the stealer . thanks for listen to me ramble but im jonesin'to ride....JD

engine temp sensor? or a voes if it has one.. being its heavily modified it might be tough to chase it down and sort ti out till we know whats there and whats not

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of great info here in the Self-Help pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

Your problem does sound electrical. So start with the basics, and the easy stuff first. Remove and clean your battery cable connections. Both ends of both cables (neg off first, on last). Just use a wire brush. Inspect the cables as you do this to make sure there is not a bunch of white or sort of green stuff just under the insulation towards the ends. If there is, replace them.

Next, check out your main breaker, although you say all the lights and stuff stay on, so that is unlikely. But if you have an original 40 amp breaker, you might want to change that out.

Then check your ground wires scattered around the bike to make sure all are tight, and no "mostly broken" wires. Just have to search around for wires attached to the frame or other large metal chunks.

Check out the key switch to make sure it is not the culprit. Do this by starting the bike and then wiggling the switch or the key slightly to see if the failure thing happens.

Then you might have to change out the temp sensor like Bud said above, if everything so far has not helped.

If that doesn't get it, try dissassembling the kill switch on the bars and clean out all the green corrosion products. After getting the loose stuff, use contact cleaner spray to get the rest, and then a spray lube. Reassemble and give it a try.

If NONE of this helps, let us know and we will scratch our heads and come up with more stuff.

TQ

I know in automobiles that is the sign of a bad coil. The coil heats up and shuts down wait 30 min and once it cools will fire off again.Since you recently aquired the bike its hard to say what all has been repaired or replaced before your purchase.

it does say he changed the coil .. i know new means new not good but odds are thin the new one is bad

it does say he changed the coil .. i know new means new not good but odds are thin the new one is bad

Right on ! caught that now that I re-read it !!! -- I'll ask the dumb ? here then --- was the coil replaced with one that was known to be good?

yea the previous coil works fine we tried it im my buddys bike it ran no problems...
coil changed bought new se coil
stator has been replaced
plugs have been replaced

its weird cuz the problem is very consisant it happends when i tri to ride and yesterday i just started her up and let her run and it didnt take long for her to just shut of and then a loud blue flame back fire sounded like a cannon . so im gonna have a friend look at it friday hopefully ill find the problem then and ill put up the findings.......but i would really hate to have to bring her to a dealer for them to tell me it was something simlple and then charge me boo koo bucks ! i do thank you all for your input and help! JD

Re: 98 fxdl engine just quits help!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!

:small3d015:MAN Im i glad thats over> my problem was and is the stock IGNITION SENSOR ASSEMBLY. A SPECIAL SHOUT TO "GLIDER" FOR HIS DIRECTION AND INSIGHT . i also will take this oppt. to thank all that helped out . any how back to the problem i finally went down and got a can of keyboard cleaner took off for what i knew was gonna be a bad trip:31: due to i knew bike was gonna shut down and ill have to sit on side of road for a while til she decides to start again. but this time i came armed with spry. so off i went about 10 miles down the road she shut down. i tryed starting nothing ...i reluctantly but confidatly :20:took out my 3 00 can of spray and sprayed down the igniton sensor til you could see it was ice cold i then gave the sign of the cross...hit the button ...Bam!!! she started right up :) was happy as a foot in a shoe store :D! rode her home only bad thing is to replace that part 32404-96 is 175.00 :52:and know one in northern california has one .so im going another direction and im going with a crane cams hI-4 dual fire race/street igntion .:bigsmiley22: thanks again .....ill send in results after install. JzFXDL
I

Back