free website stats program 98 FLSTC Electrical System Dead | Harley Davidson Forums

98 FLSTC Electrical System Dead

YudaMxO

Went out to fire up my ride this weekend, turned on the ignition, hit start...then heard a single loud "snap" and lost all power to the bike: no lights, no odometer, nothing. I cycled the start switch several times and at one point got power (lights came on, odometer illuminated, spedo powered up), so I hit start again and got the same results.

The "snap" sounded like a much louder version of one of the starter clicks when the bike doesn't have ehough juice to turn over...but instead of repeated clicks, I got one loud snap...then power out.

I checked the battery terminals for connection/corrosion, and ran a meter across the battery...checked good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Yuda

I agree with Hobbit. That would be the place to start.

My electrical wiring on my bike may be different since it is a later model but if that checks OK, next on the list may be the ignition switch or the heavy ground cable where it connects to the frame.

It sounds like a bad battery cable connection either at the battery or at the connections to the starter or frame ground. Never "look" at the connections, remove them and clean them. A connection that "looks" good doesn't necessarily have to be good. If you hold the start button for a few seconds and feel the battery connections afterward, the one that is causing the problem will usually be hot to the touch in most cases.

Many thanks fellas.

I should have known to be more specific with this crowd. I did clean the battery terminals and checked the fuses...though I ruled out a fuse because the bike regained power before repeating the problem. I'll go with your suggestions and reply back one way or another.

Due to the loud "snap/crack" when I hit the start switch, I was thinking starter solenoid or relay. Any troubleshooting tips if I get that far?

Due to the loud "snap/crack" when I hit the start switch, I was thinking starter solenoid or relay. Any troubleshooting tips if I get that far?

On my model, the complete feed for the entire electrical system comes off the starter stud terminal.
The B+ off the battery post goes to the starter stud first. Then everything feeds from that point. But even if you blasted the solenoid apart, the bike should still have lights and maybe horn. So check that ground cable, main CB or Maxi fuse, starter stud and see what you find.

Your problem can't be too deep or involved. Your almost there..:p

Thanks again fellas...I'll check those links and give your suggestions a shot.

Too bad you guys couldn't be flies on the wall in my garage tonight. Whenever an aircraft maintenance officer picks up a tool and an elisted mx troop isn't there to stop him...a story is made!

Cheers.

The battery positive cable is broken internally(inside the protective coating) Have seen dozens of these over the years as the MOCO cables are stiff & end up breaking as they work harden.Hope this helps:D

Updated info. Went out last night to troubleshoot and found that when I turn the ignition switch to "Accessory" I had power to the speedo (no lights), but when I turned it to "Start"...nothing, dead.

I'm thinking its that lock/switch itself or wiring in the console. Fiddled with the wires hoping for intermittant contact in the "start" position, but no luck. I'll take a continuity tester to it in the next day or so.

Any other thoughts?

I would say a bad switch or the contacts actually. Check the underside of the switch, quite often the wires will corrode and possibly yours have separated completely.

Back