free website stats program '98 FLHTCI leaking gas question... | Harley Davidson Forums

'98 FLHTCI leaking gas question...

Folks,

I just purchased a beautiful '98 Electra-Glide Classic 95th Anniversary edition (with matching trailer!). I also have a Honda dual sport and a 2005 Victory, so I am pretty good at wrenching bikes and FI.

Anyway, on occasion I have noticed a gas smell and tracked it down to the pressurized line coming out of the tank. Basically the nuts and plug are tight, but you can still wiggle the lines back and forth, and when you do gas will emerge from right above the nut when pressurized.

There was also some sort of rubber and clamp around the back of the nuts, but whatever was attached to it (front clamp???) fell off. I can't find this in the service manual or in the microfiche and have no idea what this is.

So my questions:

1) Do I worry about this occasional leak, and can anything be done besides replacing the o-rings inside the connectors?

2) Anyone know what that other piece is and where I can order replacement for whatever it is??

BTW -- I have really enjoyed reading this forum and tech tips since getting the bike -- very helpful.

I also have PICS, but was unable to post them because my post count is < 5 :-( Oh well, 4 more to go :)

Thanks,

Dobe

OK Thanks,

I already ordered the new o-rings and many other parts from Ronnies to get this beautiful bike perfect.

I don't want to be dumb here but I released the fuel pressure and took off the fuel lines from the the tank and it continued to drip, and drip, and drip. Do I need to drain all the fuel from the tank to address this? On other FI bikes I have they do not continue to drip.

I also cannot figure out if the two $175 pressurized fuel lines need to be replaced or if it is just an o-ring. Where is that o-ring (in the tank?) and what do I need to do to fix this.

Thanks for any help as a HD newbie.

I can provide pics via PM but I cannot post them until I have 5 posts. Very aggravating for a newbie.

Dobe

I can't believe the price of those fittings. The parts breakdown shows 1 for each injector. Hope you don't need both!

My local HD guy says these fuel lines are hard to get from HD and are always trouble (and expensive). I ordered the o-rings and will try and replace them.

I will monitor the leaks and let you all know how it goes.

Ride Safe

Dobe

You have to replace the entire fuel line with the MM injected bikes you cannot repace o-ring inside. I had same problem and got stainless braided lines from J&P cycles.

Back