free website stats program 98 Evo starter spinning after reassebly of primary chain case | Harley Davidson Forums

98 Evo starter spinning after reassebly of primary chain case

Deemon

My 98 Evo starter eems to spin without enaging. I had to remove the Primary Chain Case in order to repair the shift linkage which meant removing the Start Jackshaft assembly. I reassumbled the jackshaft assembly faithfully with the illustration shown in Clymer manual. While I have found the Clymer manual a poor resource it did, in this instance, have an illustration of the jackshaft assembly which represented all the components I had. While I can see no alternative assembly I did not understand the function of the assembly as I had doubts on how the Pinion Gear managed to become engaged. As luck would have it that is exactly where my problem is and as I didn't understand the function I have no idea what is wrong.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.------ Deemon

I would double-check the way you have assembled the starter back on the tranny case and particularly the coupler to the primary side. #60 in the schematic below has to be put on correctly. There is a snap ring inside it that is off-center. Double-check this.

STARTER MOTOR - 1998 Harley Davidson FXSTC

TQ

Thank you. Part # 60 has a snap ring and so does #92. In both cases I installed them to where the shorter side was away from the starter and towards the pinion gear. The picture shows them in that order so I assumed they would go that way. Is this correct?

Man oh man I've got a lot of experience with that situation...
Is it all factory equipment? Did you remove the inner primary? I don't know if I can send pictures thru this but my regular e-mail is is being blocked.... If you're still having problems with it send me an email and I can send you pictures. Do you have your service manual? it sounds like deemon and tquentin are on the same wave length. Check that the pinion gear sets completely back into the coupler. Make sure the starter drive coupler has the snap ring in the right place and that the starter drive spline shaft goes in to the snap ring and the end of the jack shaft splines match up the whole length. you will be good at starter RnR by the time you're done with this...

Did you make sure you bent the tab on part #86 over the end of the hex bolt? If not the bolt can come loose and the gear will not turn.

Yes, the screw has the tongue from the washer in the slot found on part # 88 and has one bent around the screw part # 12.

I just don't see to get how it is supposed to work. First, in the diagram part # 36 actually has 3 diameters even though only two are shown. It shows the outter most diameter which fits into the Primary cover which provides support when it enages. Then there is the gear diameter which is also shown. This diameter must be for enaging and must in some way be pushed out to enage the drive gears. However not shown is another diameter which has splines on it which fit into the splines of part # 92.

This is one of the areas which doesn't make sense as the spring keeps part # 36 from fitting into #92 while at rest so # 92 ust get pushed out which would psuh out #36. #36 must only go so far which stops it from going further leaving it over the drive gears. I would guess that #92 continues to slide forward copressing the spring and allowing #92 to slip onto the splines of #36 which if turning would turn #36 which would turn the engine.

The idea of #92 slipping over the splines of #36 at the time things get pushed out is just a guess. Does anyone actually know?

Also I don't get what does the "pushing out". I know the starter is going to extend asplined shaft into part # 60.........oh wai a minute the ring in #60 must be to keep #88 fro sliding deeper into #60 when the starter isn't pushing it's shaft forward. Should have figured that out before.

WHich means the pushing out of #88 is the starter shaft butting into it's end pushing # 88 forward.So how does #92 get pushed out? the only thing which could is the spline diameter of #88 which would only be pushing against the ring inside #92.It would have to press forward against the #90 spring which turn could push #36 forward at the same time #92 would be moving forward as well because the ring, with the spring taking the pressure of the forward motion, except once #92 cae against the splines on #36 and tried to slide into #92 if there was any resistance at all the ring would give way and the whole thing goes down the tubes. So it ust work in some other fashion.

Can someone tell me where I'm off here?

FYI, this is all stock equipment.

Thanks folks!!

Ok Guys,

I've got it figured out and it would seem the picture in the Harley manual is wrong. The assembly picture in the Harley book and in the Glimer book both show the bushing, part #92 in the harley picture, with the clip facing the pinion gear. It will not function like that. The clip must go in 180 degrees from how the pictures show it and must face the starter. If not the the slines from the bushing never get onto the pinion gear thus no driving force to turn the pinion and so it just spins. Turn it to where the clip faces the starter and the slines are able to ride onto the pinion gear and whalla it works.

Thanks for the attempts at helping guys. I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so you got it working? The key is to have the snap ring (#32) in the coupling (#60) facing the right way so that it does not make contact with the housing when the starter is retracted.

TQ

Back