free website stats program 97 ultra with no spark | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

97 ultra with no spark

Yes, it is Fuel injected.

Before you start "throwing " money at this problem trying to fix it ,which by the time you do figure it out may run you into the hundreds of $'s ..... have you checked out the links Jack provided? Tell us what you have done and what you have found out. Do you have spark , what / if any / mods have been done lately , did this problem just start or has it been acting up for a while , when was the last time your dad had the scoot out , has it been washed lately ?????????

"The fuel pump turns on".

Being a rookie can we assume this is FI ?

Very Good Point! I did not catch that. Tks!

I am not having any luck retrieving the codes.
I turn the switch on, wait 1 sec after the fuel pump stops, then turn the switch off. Wait 3 sec and repeat. I then turn the switch back on. The engine light goes out after 4 sec and NOTHING. I expect flashing lights which should provide me with any stored codes.

Try this=>
Start with engine stop switch (kill) in OFF position.
Turn key to ignition for 3 seconds
Wait another second AFTER fuel pump stops running,
then flip Kill switch to RUN.
Now turn ignition switch to OFF.

Repeat All above steps 1 more time. Be sure to start with kill switch in OFF position.

Now turn ignition switch to IGNITION and wait 8 seconds for check engine light to start flashing. You should get 6 rapid flashes which is a "ready" signal.
Now you will see a 2 second pause with check engine light being OFF.
Now 1st digit of code will flash.
A Pause for 2 seconds.
Now 2nd digit of code will flash.
There may be more than 1 code. A "ready code" will be in-between them.

Even if you have no stored codes, I would think you should at least see the "ready" code displayed.
This procedure came from a service manual. See if it works.

Further troubleshooting revealed that there is spark in the front plug.
I swapped the plug wires at the coil and there is only spark in the front plug of the coil. I tried this with both plug wires.

Therefore, the coil is only outputting spark to the front plug.

Now to find a coil. Thanks for all the responses. I'll let the group know if this solves the problem.

Steve

Further troubleshooting revealed that there is spark in the front plug.
I swapped the plug wires at the coil and there is only spark in the front plug of the coil. I tried this with both plug wires.

Therefore, the coil is only outputting spark to the front plug.

Now to find a coil. Thanks for all the responses. I'll let the group know if this solves the problem.

Steve

Harley Davidson Community test the coil first here :s

Back