free website stats program 97 Ultra Rocker arm issues | Harley Davidson Forums

97 Ultra Rocker arm issues

careyporche

I have a 1997 Ultra and I am having some issues with it that have been growing. I need help. This started as a simple gasket replacement and it has gone terribly wrong since. I dont know much about Harley motors, but I am pretty mechanically inclined. I thought I could just remove the nose cone and replace the gasket and my little oil leak was fixed, well that was VERY wrong! I failed to do my home work and I unbolted the nose cone and didnt know the cam was bolted to it. Now I am sure you guys are saying "What a dumby", but I did not know. So after I downloaded a manual, I learned that I had to remove the pushrods to allow the cam to be installed. I did this a have reinstalled the cam and now I am trying to reinstall the rocker arms and they are not lining up and I am not sure how to get them back in. Please help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you pull the rocker arm shafts out? If you did then look at the ends of each one they are notched for 1 of the mounting bolts on the bottom plate to to pass thru and keep the the shaft from rotating.If you're talking about the the rocker itself then that is different. If memory serves me and a mental pic. then the Front exch. can also be placed in the rear intake,rear exch. can be placed in front intake position.I usually mark them during removal for ware purposes.Make you sure put the correct push rod where it goes,they are colored coded.The manual will tell you where each on goes.I wasn't quite sure about your question but hope this helps
tourbox

Tourbox,
I did remove the shafts and labeled them so they are in the same location. The problem I am having is when I tried to put them back in the arms are not sitting down far enough. It is like the valve and pushrods are holding it up and not allowing the shaft to go back in. I have not replaced any parts so everything is the same as they came out.

You are fighting the cam lobes and the lifters. Your best bet is to get some adjustable PRs and replace the ones in there now. That way you can reassemble the top end and then install and adjust the PRs after the top end is buttoned up.

TQ

TQ is correct about the Adj. push rods. makes it a lot easier the next you are in the nose cone.If you are going to reuse the OEM push rods then assemble your rocker shafts in the bottom plate first.Drop your prospective push rods in their correct place(color coded) then start your bolts to lock down the bottom plate.This will compress your lifters.Which ever head you are working on,make sure both of those lifters are all the way down first when placing the bottom rocker plate.Be sure and TORQUE bolts the way the book says as this sets you lifters lift.Before going to the other head make sure you spin the first 2 by hand.Some times it take 10-15 minutes for the lifter to bleed down.Also seeing as how you had the cam out did you consider replacing the cam bearing with a Torrington bearing.They are a FAR better bearing than the OEM.
tourbox

you may also try to take spark plugs out and jack the bike up and put bike in 5th gear and rotate the engine by bumping the rear wheel by hand putting the cams and lifters at their lowest points for each heads one at a time this should make it easier for the rocker installs as it ill lower the push rods

not sure also but are you trying to put the shafts in with the rockers on if so you need to install them with the rocker assembly off the head sorry it just sounded like that is what you you were trying to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
The information you need is included in several of the above posts; consolidating may simplify the process.

1. Assemble rocker arm/support plate assembly.
2. Proceed with one cylinder at at time.
3. Raise the rear wheel, put trans in 5th gear and remove spark plugs so you can rotate the crank.
4. Pick the cylinder you want to start with and position the piston at TDC on the compression stroke. Stuff a shop rag in the spark plug hole and rotate the rear wheel until the compression blows the rag out; the piston is on the way up. Get a plastic straw and continue rotating the rear wheel until the piston at at or near TDC. This also means that the lifters are in their lowest position and on the heel of the cam lobe.
6. Drop in the OEM pushrods; make sure intake goes into intake and exhaust into exhaust. Consult your manual if not sure.
7. Drop the rocker arm/support plate in place and start the bolts. Tighten in the sequence provided in the manual slowly pulling the plate down to the rocker box. Torque to spec.
8. DO NOT rotate the engine until you can spin the two pushrods with your fingers.
9. Move to next cylinder and repeat.
10. Install push rod tube clips.

BTW, you really should have the OEM service manual; it is much better than the aftermarket offerings. Good luck.:bigsmiley12:

Back