free website stats program 97 Heritage Softail tires and what was your first modification> | Harley Davidson Forums

97 Heritage Softail tires and what was your first modification>

Bill Oakes

Just bought a mint 97 Heritage Softail with under 500 original miles. Tires don't have dry-rot but have to go. 20+ ears old and they feel hard.
Want sticky over miles. I ride year round in VA and also wanted to know if you can put a wider tire out back without modification. If yes what size? Handling issues??? What tires do you suggest?
Have other bikes and this is my first Harley. The other two are a sportbike and a high horsepower twin cruiser.
Next what was your first modification?
Pipes? Performance enhancement would be nice.
Going to add a Garmin as its had my back for some time now and the other two bikes have mounts for one.
Also have multiple Airhawks for the seats.
Thanks

I would replace the tires based on their age. I don't trust old tires, regardless of how few miles are on them. A debate I have with old car guys, (especially my uncle!!!) on a regular basis. :) But, with that being said, I have never beat the inside of my fender up with a tire that blew apart. ;)

Good advice on the tires given by Joyflying, I would replace them even if they don't have dryrot. If the bike sat for awhile it's bound to have developed flat spots. May I suggest Jake Wilson as a tire supplier, replaced mine earlier this year was very pleased with the cost and shipping was free. Had local HD mount and balance them.

Dunlop American Elite are fair handling, good mileage tires. Avon's are also popular Harley tires. You MIGHT be able to go up one size to 140 on the rear, but it will probably rub the belt guard. It's rather expensive to make the mods for a significantly wider tire, that's only for looks anyhow. First mods are usually a washable air filter. Many go for the free flowing air cleaner assembly, but it is not a real power gain. Drilling the tamper seal from the bottom of the carb allows you to richen up the mix a bit, also rejetting can help. I put a larger cam and heads on my Evo. Exhaust is a matter of opinion, and now probably availability will factor.2 into 1 are better power exhaust, but IMO ruin the Heritage looks. Seeing as you have two other horsepower bikes, I suggest riding the Harley for what it is, and break out the big guns when needed.

You may want to check your old brake fluid to make sure it doesn't have excessive moisture in it from setting there all those years through multiple seasonal temperature changes. It's cheap enough to flush out and keep peace of mind over it "maybe" being bad, or not.

All good advice, i'd want to change ALL fluids. As gator508 said Jake Wilson has a large selection of tires with quick free shipping,

I've found out recently, the "Shinko" brand out-performs AND out-lasts the high dollar "name brands" of MC tires.

Back