free website stats program 97 FXD No Go | Harley Davidson Forums

97 FXD No Go

Ok this thing is crazy. Rode bike and then parked for 2 weeks, turn on key and nothing. Hooked up charger and it lights up but clickity clickity. tach stays pegged out and horn makes weird noise. I have checked it with no module hooked up and no coil hooked up. checked relays and breakers all checks out. battery is new and has been checked and is good. Has to be the solenoid, Right? When the charger is hooked up and you turn the key to ignition position the charger pegs out its crazy:x Thanks for any input!

Battery terminals need cleaning/tightening.:s Charger pegging indicates little coming from the battery.

Yep... It's the battery or the battery ground. Check the negative side cable at the battery and check the ground cable on the frame. If it's the same as a 96, the ground cable termination is under the seat. Remove the nut, check the starwasher, make sure have a good ground and spray it battery terminal conditioner (you can get it at Sears).

Last edited:
Could be.. But check the obvious first.... I've seen bike do wierd stuff with bad battery connections/grounding problems...

I just noticed... If the bike that having the problem is your avatar, I have no clue where the battery ground cable is terminated, but I would still check it. I thought is was an FXD because of the info in your original post.

If your battery has drained down too far, you need to let it charge up to near full capacity. If you just hooked up the charger and tried the starter, it doesn't have enough charge to start the bike and will just click. Do check your connections good and make sure they are tight!
When you turned on the switch the charger pegged out due to the increased load you put on it (lights, ignition, etc.). If your charger has the start feature you can try it briefly, but don't leave it in this setting or you could damage your battery.

If your charger has the start feature you can try it briefly, but don't leave it in this setting or you could damage your battery.

You'll damage more than the battery using the "start" feature on a charger. Too much of a boost to take a chance with IMO.

Ok but when battery fully charged and you turn key on it does nothing at all. No horn no nothing. only time can get to do something is when charger is put on it. even then the horn barely makes noise and tack stays up at 8000 does not come back to zero. if i unhook the wire from start switch to coil then the tach goes to zero. Have tried 2 different batteries all do the same. I would think that when a new full charge battery is in there and i turn key it should light something or toot horn or something but acts totally dead. :11:

Back