free website stats program 97 FLSTC Fuel Gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

97 FLSTC Fuel Gauge

wombat457

I think I am clutching at straws here but is it possible to "add" a Fuel Gauge to a 97 Softail Heritage Classic (FLSTC)?

If so, how would it be done?

I would think it could be done. I have a carbed '93 with one and a '04 EFI with one. So, you're in between and that would mean it's gotta be possible I would think. Look at Ronnie's Microfiche for the parts to see what's different. You have two caps?

Ahh nope - I have two fuel caps a left and a right side for the split tank. Each side is connected by a feeder hose.

View attachment 19547
There are a few aftermarket screw in type fuel gauges that are mechanical. Search the web and even Amazon. Any electronic type would probably require drilling the tank for wiring. Unless yours is there and just plugged off. Like I said you'd have to look up your tank p/n and see if it's the same as another model with the gauge.

Thanks and have had a quick look at the site you posted. Will take a more detailed look this evening. Thanks again, apprecaite it.

@wombat457 The combat wombat was Hodaka's best btw. How did you make out on your search? I have a 1997 Big Dog Proglide which is basically a FXDWG (sort of). I'd love to ditch the paint savers but can't figure out how to remove them. And then replace the left side tank filler opening with a fuel gauge. I normally figure my fuel remaining based on the trip meter but because the filler cap seal is so lousy there is a lot of evaporation over time. That and the crossover tube is so small that it would take 1/2 hour for the fuel to migrate over to the left tank when stopped for fuel. I "could" fill the left side first but being incredibly lazy..... so I'm always 1/2 gallon lower than I think I am even when I just filled up.

Back