free website stats program 97" build sounds like it's coming apart | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

97" build sounds like it's coming apart

Very good idea to steer clear of rev tech stuff,we bore stock cylinders to 98",the woods cams are also known for being alittle noisy

BETTER Than NEW cylinders: Use your SEASONED cylinders to Bore Properly by a GOOD machine shop that DOES a lot of them ... Not the back-yard mechanic that Doesn't have ALL the needed equipment/torque plate/micrometers/ABILITY.

Doing a cost comparison, the Kit you build your self should not be that much more.

Better to pay a few $$$ more the first time and not have to Re-pay to get it right.:wall

I Too have Learned this the Expensive Way.:newsmile032:

signed....BUBBIE

Well, after 1200 miles, it still makes quite a bit of racket, but re-adjusted the valves helped some. The pushrods (Screamin Eagle non-tapered) seem to have a catch at the lifter cup so thinking that may be causing some of the noise. Bike pulls like a freight train with the wife and i both on it, even tho i haven't twisted it real hard yet, just 50 to 70 in a little over a car length, but wife says it runs a whole lot better, so we're going to ride it for another 1500 miles then decide with the shop what direction to go. Real happy with the power so may just ride it out.

Well, after 1200 miles, it still makes quite a bit of racket, but re-adjusted the valves helped some. The pushrods (Screamin Eagle non-tapered) seem to have a catch at the lifter cup so thinking that may be causing some of the noise. Bike pulls like a freight train with the wife and i both on it, even tho i haven't twisted it real hard yet, just 50 to 70 in a little over a car length, but wife says it runs a whole lot better, so we're going to ride it for another 1500 miles then decide with the shop what direction to go. Real happy with the power so may just ride it out.

YOU would/will BE surprised How Much of that Piston Slap noise IS from the pushrods CLICKING ....

IN MINE, I ALWAYS use the SE Slender Tapers... Just for that REASON, Noise... Been there with that noise...

HEY, In the Old Days, Piston Slap was a GOOD sound.. Most will think it a Hot Rod Bike anyways.. Get a set of Earplugs and enjoy that ride... LATER you can remady the SOUND...
Good for you that it is running top-notch.

1200 miles? It iS broken in enough to Open it up and let the Pony's out...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Have a friend that just had his built by the same indy, but it's a 117" 2010 street glide. He's got about 1100 miles on his and it's quiet as stock so i'm going to see how i handle his at the drag strip. The owner will let us in, just wont turn on the tree or timers, so we'll do it with an arm drop. Imagine he'll smoke me, but because mine sounds the way it does, he's not sure what i've done, and the mechanics won't tell him, so he's a little nervous, lol.

After 4000 miles i finally decided to have new Fuel Moto pushrods installed. Will pick it up Friday and hope it's a little quieter.

What a difference! 2 S.E. pushrods had a bow in them when they took them out. Got the Fuel Moto's in and it's as quiet now as it was with the old top end. Only sound now is valves opening and closing and the piston slap from the short skirted KB pistons, which is minimal compared to what it was,

I had KB pistons in my old build of my fatty. I'll never us em again. :(

Thinking I used a set of KB's in a build , early TC and worked good...

Am I correct here?

Thinking the specks called out for a TIGHT fit.. .0005 min. Yes tenths:small3d031:

Had a PRO torque-plate bore my seasoned barrels to 95" FITTED the pistons Tight and they were Quiet...

signed....BUBBIE

Thinking I used a set of KB's in a build , early TC and worked good...

Am I correct here?

Thinking the specks called out for a TIGHT fit.. .0005 min. Yes tenths:small3d031:

Had a PRO torque-plate bore my seasoned barrels to 95" FITTED the pistons Tight and they were Quiet...

signed....BUBBIE

That sound correct, you want a tighter fit, K B will custom make pistons but they aint cheap:s Forged are stronger than cast, some are noisey nature of the beast

Back