free website stats program 97" build sounds like it's coming apart | Harley Davidson Forums

97" build sounds like it's coming apart

bodean46

Had an indy shop rebuild my 88" 01 Ultra to a 97" using Rev-Tech cylinders and pistons, put a Woods TW-5G 575 lift cams with Woods directional lifters, and had their machine shop take the heads and instal 1.94 intake valves and 1.62 exhaust and S&S beehive valve springs and cc the combustion chambers to 85cc's. When you first start the motor, it is whisper quiet, even more quiet than stock, but as the oil warms it starts to rattle extremely loud. Never gets worse, but it's almost embarassing when sitting at a light. Switched from Amsoil 20-50 synthetic to Spectro 20-50 dino oil at 250 miles and it doesn't make a differance. They've listened to it twice and tell me it's not too bad as have a few others, but i wonder if anyone can give me any ideas on where to start my search. Thinking as metal warms and expands causing something to touch but sounds more like a loose pushrod, even tho we've re-set them twice. Wonder about shimming rockers, if that would help. They shimmed one but not the others.

I agree with TQuinton here. You have to give us some idea of where the "noise" is coming from. With that high lift cam did you change out to roller rockers? I'm sure you checked out your indi shop but do you know if they checked out clearences before they assembled the engine? Piston slap, valve guide clearence, cam bearings can all sound pretty loud. What type cam drive are you running?

Running the S&S gear drive with the Woods cam. The machinist that did the work is very thorough and always double checks his work. He listened to it after i bought it back and thought sound was from engine sprocket, so it was replaced (no charge) but it didn't help. The mechanic that actually put it all together re-adjusted the valves just to be certain that wasn't the problem. He thinks that maybe the 10.5 to1 pistons i used may be the problem (piston slap) as the skirts were very short. Am borrowing a mechanics stethascope tomorrow to try to pinpoint the sound and will do a compression test as well. He also has a small camera, for checking combustion chambers and cylinder heads so if he has time we my try seeing whats up with the valves and pistons. Will post more when i get this part done.

I never trusted rev-tech cyl and pistons.

If this build was from Scratch where the party doing the rebuild gets the cyl to match the clearances needed You will have a good job when finished Provided the builder USES the correct tolerances and the machinist does his job like-wise. Should be Quiet.

But IF these parts are from a "Generic Kit", all bets from me are off as I think Too Much Clearance is used in the piston to cylinder dimension.

I have had many complain aboout noise from a KIT...

Not my way.

Sorry but that is what I think.. NO sugar coating. AND I hope I'm WRONG..

signed....BUBBIE

ONE possibility is to adjust the p-rods out a Little More... NOT to specks but a little more...

MY SE255's adjusted to the SE adj-rods @ 24 thrds." and 2.5 turns are NOISY but out a full turn more, (just like TQ1 adjusted 3.3) Now they are Quiet as a church mouse.

Thanks BUBBIE, i'll give that a try if all else fails. Yes, this was a kit that the indie let me have for a bargain. Don't know if machinist checked clearances, but assume, as meticulous as he is with everything else, that he checked this as well. Only makes noise after it warms up, usually after temps get above 110 on the gauge, but never get louder. Rode 250 miles yesterday and sounded same as when the noise first started. It didn't gain in intensity.

Piston slap in front cylinder ( chinese steel trying to save money, never again) and a little rattle from both intake valves. Not much to do but tear it down and i'm not going to do that, so, i'll ride it til i wear it out, then go Axtel cylinders and Makie heads. Live and learn, i guess.

Piston slap in front cylinder ( chinese steel trying to save money, never again) and a little rattle from both intake valves. Not much to do but tear it down and i'm not going to do that, so, i'll ride it til i wear it out, then go Axtel cylinders and Makie heads. Live and learn, i guess.

The Indy should of KNOWN that it would be Noisy... Gave you a Discount...
then sold it to you anyways... I'd be back in his shop and a little UP-set.

What did He think and say???? Sorry just doesn't get it here.

If nothing can be done from other than your pockets.......I agree Run It.

Does it run good... Noise will not be a problem IF it runs good.. It might out-last many other builds but NOISY....

Good Luck with it... Remember IF you get it to Sturgis, SD, when you ride Under the Banner across the main street going into Deadwood..

IT Says "WE HEARD YOU COM'N"

You'll fit right in...(ears plugged and SMILING)

signed....BUBBIE

Another thought I have IS,,, Buy a set of take-offs cylinders from ebay or?.. Then get them bored correctly to FIT Tight, using the pistons IF you'll reuse them(if they aren't the problem).
Then Maybe good to go? Your Indy owes you a little labor to make up for his

BLUNDER :small3d023:IMHO

signed....BUBBIE

Back