free website stats program '97 Breaking Rear Spokes | Harley Davidson Forums

'97 Breaking Rear Spokes

Dr.Evil

Friends 97 brakes rear spokes even after some were replaced and the wheel was trued. They brake at the hub. He is thinking the hub may be worn out.
Any Ideas?

Friends 97 brakes rear spokes even after some were replaced and the wheel was trued. They brake at the hub. He is thinking the hub may be worn out.
Any Ideas?

I have only seen spokes sold in sets. Why would you only change some of them out?

How can I answer that question.
Still asking for useful information, could it be the hub or bearings.

Possibly over tightening the spokes will cause breakage.

I like tapping with a small wrench to hear the sound Or TUNE the spokes play... This will usually tell if too tight or loose. I like the tones to be = to each other and not too flat nor too high a pitch...
"Thawng" not "donk"(loose) and a little like "Tink" but even in pitch all the way around..

just my way.
signed....BUBBIE

Any Ideas?

Even after some spokes were replaced, many of the remaining spokes suffered stress, and are now breaking. Even if rim runout is within specs, it could have been trued too far left or right and putting uneven pressure on the spokes.

Possibly over tightening the spokes will cause breakage.

I like tapping with a small wrench to hear the sound Or TUNE the spokes play... This will usually tell if too tight or loose. I like the tones to be = to each other and not too flat nor too high a pitch...
"Thawng" not "donk"(loose) and a little like "Tink" but even in pitch all the way around..

I check a Bran-new HD bike in Texas at the ROT rally. A fellow rider bot new bike for his wife to ride out there as it came off the show room floor...

The gal complained of the vibration and just a BAD ride above 60/65 and was afraid to ride it any where near the 80 mph allowed on the freeways..

A mutual friend mention ME to them and said I knew my "stuff"... Boy, No Pressure put on me at all... WITH THEIR CONSENT and witnessed by many.. I said okay... I'll check you adjust.
I simply got out a small wrench and tapped the spokes 11 in a row on the rear wheel and on one side were flat,dull, and just no tone at all... The front was even worse..( we had no way to raise the bike so tuned this way was a try and see)

I explained the problem and the OWNER took my advice and tightened them according to the tone procedure and took the bike out for a spin.
Came back with a smile and said it was a different bike.... No vibration and smooth!

I also explained that this was a temporary fix and should be tuned-trued by the HD shop when he got it back in for the first service..

just my way.
signed....BUBBIE

Thanks, I will recomend a new full set, a better quality install, and to check the tuning more frequently.

Back