free website stats program 96cc primary oil capacity problem | Harley Davidson Forums

96cc primary oil capacity problem

DarinDan

Well, I changed all my fluids today for my 1k service. Just finished earlier but I had a question about the proper level for the primary. My service manual stated 32 ounces. I removed the derby cover first before removing my the primary drain bolt to see the oil level before I drained the primary. Oil was not in the site of the bottom of the clutch assembly. I drained the primary until no more fluid was draining. I then filled up the primary while on the jiffy stand to the bottom of the clutch basket(I think that is the proper terminology). Manual stated 32 ounces but it did not state on the jiffy stand or standing straight up. Went ahead and stood the bike up and filled to the bottom of the clutch assembly. Then had to put it on the jiffy stand to install the derby cover. A lot of primary fluid ran out which indicates I by no means have 32 ounces. As it stands right now the bike sits on the jiffy stand with the oil level covering the bottom of the clutch assembly. How much oil do I need in the primary. Since the manual did not state how to fill it properly is this going to cause any issues with my clutch slipping? Did not know what damage this could cause or if I have less than 32 ounces whether this could cause issues as well. Any suggestions would be great. I have checked out the self help section and I remember reading 24-26 ounces but did not know if this was for the older models.

Check Lubricant Level
1. Ride motorcycle until engine is warmed up to normal
operating temperature.
2. Stand motorcycle upright, so that primary chaincase is
level.
3. See Figure 1-12. Remove five screws to free clutch
inspection cover from primary chaincase cover.
4. Remove seal ring from clutch inspection cover and discard.
5. If the fluid level can be seen, it is adequate. Otherwise,
pour enough GENUINE Harley-Davidson FORMULA+
TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT
(Part No. 99851-05, U.S. quart) in through the
clutch inspection cover opening until it is visible along the
bottom portion of the clutch assembly.
6. Refer to Changing Chaincase Lubricant to install seal ring
and clutch inspection cover

Hope this helps.

I think hogrotten has you covered above. Short and sweet of it is that the design of the primary and where it drains means that virtually all the fluid drains out when you remove the plug. I personally just add a full quart back in with the bike standing close to upright, put the cover back on and back it out.

TQ

Alright, just want to make sure I got this correct. Stand the bike upright and fill up to the clutch basket. Then install the derby cover and press on. Can't check the oil level unless the derby cover is removed. If it is overfilled what do I need to make sure I look for as far as problems? Such as problems with my clutch or just put 32 ounces and press? Thanks for the help and responses.

All the oil volumes are in the owners manual. Three quarts for the engine and one quart each for the trans and primary.

All the oil volumes are in the owners manual. Three quarts for the engine and one quart each for the trans and primary.

3 quarts of oil will be over full on a Dyna unless you get all the oil out, best try 2.5 quarts ask me how I know:)

Back