free website stats program 96 vs 103. | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

96 vs 103.

I personally would not want any A/F ratio's in the 14's during a Wide Open Throttle pull. It's really very important to find out exactly what was changed (if anything) to your PC mapping.

I will be asking about this this weekend....I have a minor non-related prob--when they did the 50K service, now my ABS light stays on, ABS appears to functioning OK, just something they need to correct. Tracy

I think you might have some additional power still left on the table.

I went with a Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner after installing my Stage 2 103" kit.

I initially tuned it myself and thought it was pulling pretty good compared to the previous 96" build. Was running a bit hot so I decided to bite the bullet and spend the money on a proper dyno tune.

After getting it tuned on the dyno by Jarz Performance, I ended up with 91 hp and 108 ft lbs of torque. (up from 83 hp and 93 ft lbs of torque with my tune.)

Might be worth finding a good tuner with a dyno cause sounds like your engine is running a bit on the lean side, especially if lower rpm numbers are approaching 15 to 1 afr.

:D

When I bought it last May, it already had the Stage 1 done w/the PC3. Not looking to spend any more $$$ on upgrading/changing my fuel system, but I think you got something there on having some more power not tapped yet. I've read on several diff threads here that similar builds are getting a little more than mine. I also noticed a few times that it seems to need to turn over a few more times to start compared to before. I also this morning was just above an idle an punched it and it hesitated and missed before it fired up. It was mostly warmed up and never did this before. As stated, I WILL be questioning this also. It seemed like it was starved for fuel. Tracy

Don't mean to hijack, but since we've been discussing my recent cam upgrade, Why is the first dyno run done in a graph shoeing the rpms up to 5500, and the second dyno run (after the cams were installed) show the dyno run in "MPH" starting at 55mph and going up to 126mph?

Why aren't they the same...either both mph's or both rpm's? Just curious (I'll ask about this also Sat). Tracy

Last edited by a moderator:
Upload the graph so we can see it.

Did you actually pay for a complete Dyno-tune or did they just put the bike on the dyno in order to get a HP/Torque curve sheet to show you what the results of the cam install would be. That fee should stand out on the invoice since it can take time to complete if done properly. If there is not a line entry for several hundred dollars for Dyno-Time, my guess is it was not done.

I had a 2006 Street Glide that was a stock 88. I put a 95 kit in it and it ran great. Also added a Stage II breather, and Reinheart true duels. Can't remember if I changed the cams. I replaced it with a 2010 Road Glide with the 96 and it was sluggish. The 95 had much more power. Put the 103 in it and it ran much better. I travel a lot cross country and found the 103 to be better going up hills and over mountains etc. I ride solo. Friends with the stock 96 couldn't keep up. I didn't have the option of getting a 103 from the factory at that time. I would recommend getting the 103 from the factory with a full factory warranty. You won't be disappointed. It will be eaiser to purchase the comfort items later than change from a 96 to a 103 later.

Upload the graph so we can see it.

Did you actually pay for a complete Dyno-tune or did they just put the bike on the dyno in order to get a HP/Torque curve sheet to show you what the results of the cam install would be. That fee should stand out on the invoice since it can take time to complete if done properly. If there is not a line entry for several hundred dollars for Dyno-Time, my guess is it was not done.

I'm still a dinosaur...I don't know how to work this fancy contraption other than punch these keys :D

Checked my invoice... only thing listed as far as the dyno states "dyno tune PC--$127.50". I guess it was only minor adjustments at best. I'll ask Sat.

I can't pick between the Two bikes for you But.... If you go 96" with a full Stage-One and a simple fueler like TFI or Gen3 from Dobecks,,, it will perform just fine..

That is what I did to make my 96" 09 FLHR respond like it should of off the show room floor....

Later I added the SE255 cams to give it the Better Boost.

"One Day" when i get Many more miles on the 96", I will go to the 103" with manual compression releases.
That is the plan...

I could just leave it where it is Right Now as it does Tickle Me Fancy....

If you go 103, what cams are in it, and does it come with compression reliefs?
(SE 255 cams and CRValves)

My ride will Have to Have Both the above in the 103" or Your 103" would be a No Go.

signed....BUBBIE

+1, Bubbie. As an added benefit the Stage 1 made my 96" run cooler too.

Happy Update.

Dropped the bike off fri evening, picked it up sat morn. Long story----short answer. Was told the head mech had a little "conversation" with the mech that did my work. He told me he wasn't exactly sure what was causing the "slight miss", but prob was caused due to the a/f mix being too lean. Said he just started over with the dyno/tune and came up with a LOT better run. Went for a 180 mile round trip ride with the wife (her on her XBones) to Charlotte. No words for the improvement...MUCH better!

When I dropped it off fri, I asked what the stock new bikes A/FR was set at....service mgr told me it was around 14.3....I asked him why mine was set (according to my dyno graph) at nearer to 15. He couldn't give me an answer. Imagine that...

I'll get my daughter to take pics of the dyno sheets soon and post the pics. (I'm still a dinosaur).

New #'s:

A/F-Only slightly goes above 13 for a very short amount of time (at 3100 rpm to 3300 rpm). The rest of the run they're around 12. Happy camper now!

New tq/hp #'s:
HP-83.15
Torque-101.0

YES! I got to 100+.

New totals:
HP-13.78 increase
Torque-11.97 increase.

I go back to original statement that the stock cams had decent torque, but pretty anemic hp. To put in "torque" cams and get a bigger hp increase says a lot. Tracy

Hopple, Thanks for the PM, It gave me a lot of ammunition to fire at the service dept dudes to make this right, though in their defense it was the mech that screwed this up and they made it right without much of an argument. But your insight let me know what I needed to tell them so they wouldn't be able to blow me off. Thanks again.

This is one of the main reasons I'm here... the knowledge and experience you can learn from.

Guess I'll be finding out shortly. Just put my 2009 Road King in for the 103 upgrade. It already has Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes, Heavy Breather intake, SE-255 cams & race tuner. Last dyno run was 83 HP and 97 ft lbs of torque. I'll let you all know how it turned out later this week.

Cheers

Mine is a 96, had a chance to get a 103 but Mrs. said NO. Would have chosen the 103

Thanks for the feedback TOP!

Smitty, Thanks. As soon as I can get the daughter to post the pics, I'll ask what you think. There are several here whose opinions I value highly and yours is one of them. Thanks again.

I haven't "opened it up" hard since I picked it up sat, but it does "feel" and seem to run much better. Hopefully it's not as "rich" as it was "lean". Tracy

Back