free website stats program 96 vs 103. | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

96 vs 103.

I can't pick between the Two bikes for you But.... If you go 96" with a full Stage-One and a simple fueler like TFI or Gen3 from Dobecks,,, it will perform just fine..

That is what I did to make my 96" 09 FLHR respond like it should of off the show room floor....

Later I added the SE255 cams to give it the Better Boost.

"One Day" when i get Many more miles on the 96", I will go to the 103" with manual compression releases.
That is the plan...

I could just leave it where it is Right Now as it does Tickle Me Fancy....

If you go 103, what cams are in it, and does it come with compression reliefs?
(SE 255 cams and CRValves)

My ride will Have to Have Both the above in the 103" or Your 103" would be a No Go.

signed....BUBBIE
I could not agree more Trek.... But not needing to go 103"

I'm Not in any Hurry to tear into my 96" to go 103" either...

If the one?? above that Doesn't want to tear INTO the new engine,,,, the 96" like mine and Not a lot of work to change out the cams, just the side cover NOT the heads... WOW is WOW

signed....BUBBIE

I was seriously considering trading my 08 Electraglide with 36,000 kms on the 96" engine for a new model with the 103 power pak option.

The 96" engine was fine most of the time but I wanted a bit more power when travelling two up with the wife and loaded down with gear.

After looking at the numbers (and discovering that our beloved Harleys don't seem to be commanding the same trade-in values they used to..) I decided to upgrade my existing 96" with the SE 103" Stage 2 kit with SE255 cams.

I already had the HD oil cooler and also installed a SE Pro Super Tuner to modify the ecm as required.

Total cost was considerably less than opting for a brand new motorcycle with the 103 and my engine is essentially brand new again.

The difference in power btwn the 96" stocker and 103" Stage 2 ?

Priceless......:D

I got the 2011 Street Glide with the Power Pack & Cruise Control, i'm very happy with it. Why did i go with the Power Pack & Cruise Control ? Because i did not have to pay for it.

Searider, the power pack 103 comes with the 103 ci engine, oil cooler, ABS and security. It is a good setup. I know some people will knock the 103 engine saying it is not a big deal. This gives you a base, and can build it up from there...like I am going to do...stage one wise. Enjoy!!

In my opinion its a big enough deal. Hauls my big butt smoothly up steepest mountain roads and at 320 lbs by myself i'm like two people all the time. HAHAHA

Starting with the Electra Glide will give you more bike for touring purposes out of the gate. Then wait for your local dealer to throw a spring sale and get the SE 103 upgrade with SERT. The differance in low end torque and touring smoothness is amazing when packing a rider and luggage. The SE 103 has a larger output than a stock HD 103. My 2 cents.

I was seriously considering trading my 08 Electraglide with 36,000 kms on the 96" engine for a new model with the 103 power pak option.

The 96" engine was fine most of the time but I wanted a bit more power when travelling two up with the wife and loaded down with gear.

After looking at the numbers (and discovering that our beloved Harleys don't seem to be commanding the same trade-in values they used to..) I decided to upgrade my existing 96" with the SE 103" Stage 2 kit with SE255 cams.

I already had the HD oil cooler and also installed a SE Pro Super Tuner to modify the ecm as required.

Total cost was considerably less than opting for a brand new motorcycle with the 103 and my engine is essentially brand new again.

The difference in power btwn the 96" stocker and 103" Stage 2 ?

Priceless......:D

Can you give a ballpark cost for your upgrade?

Can you give a ballpark cost for your upgrade?

Cost of my 103 Stage 2:

103" Stage 2 Race Kit with SE255 cams $900.00
SE Pro Super Tuner with cds and cables $500.00
Head work including manual compression releases, new valve seals etc. $280.00
SE cam bearings $18.00

All told, worked out to about $1700.00 in parts including shipping and tax.

Already had the HD oil cooler installed but would recommend it for sure with this build as the higher compression generates a fair bit more heat than the stock 96". (add another $350.00)

Had to buy a few new tools including a blind-hole bearing puller and a nice little inch-pound torque wrench but who doesn't need more tools?

Very pleased with the results and a pretty nice bump in performance for the price.

I did my own work but if the dealer does the install, I think labour runs between 12 and 16 hours.

I suggested to Sprinklerfitter that going the SE255 cams First to see how he likes that and THEN YOU can Always go 103" later IF you feel the cam and his already UP-grades are NOT enough NOW so NO problem to do it Later.....

Cost and labor is about the same... You can do all Your own labor other than the head work with the Manual Comp. Relief valves....

I think IF you order IS IT M&M we use here .. I know I bought my SE cams and SE adjsustables from them... May be chime in and Let me Know If this is the company

M&M???

Let us Know Please..

signed....BUBBIE

For what it's worth I have a 09 Ultra classic w/ a 96 and I just bought a 11 Roadglide custom w/ the powerpac option which the 103 is part of. I personally
don't see much of a difference between the two but I don't have many miles on the RG yet to give a confirmed opinion. I would say that there is a little more low end but not enough too sink the money into the engine for the upgrade. One of the reasons I bought the RG w/ the 103 is for resale purposes down the road. The 96 will be a thing of the past before long. As it is the Touring bikes now come w/ the 103 as a standard on the 2011. But if you are one who keeps their bike, resale won't be as much of an issue. Harleys in my opinion have always been under powered out of the box. I suggest test driving both for your own opinion or if money isn't an issue go w/ the 103 cause you never have enough power. Hope that helps.

Back