free website stats program 96 vs 103. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

96 vs 103.

For those of you who has a 96 motor. IF you can go back and do it again, would you wanna get a 103 motor or you are happy with your 96's ? (I'm not a speed freak ).

I'm torn between 2011 SG w/103 and Electra Glide Classic w/96. I'm waiting for the weather breaks a bit and do the test ride on both but in the mean time, just looking for what you guys think. Most of the time I will be solo ride but the wife wanna tag along so I do like the tourpak for her comfy though.

I'm happy with the 96" in my '09 UG. Just stage 1 (exhaust, AC and remap). It hauled the wife and me up and down the mountains of B.C just fine with power to spare for passing. I'm 5'10" 160 lbs and the wife, how shall I put it without getting slapped, is 5'3" and not a small gal.

Haven't tried the 103" so can't really do a seat of the pants comparison.

I'm happy with the 96" in my '09 UG. Just stage 1 (exhaust, AC and remap). It hauled the wife and me up and down the mountains of B.C just fine with power to spare for passing. I'm 5'10" 160 lbs and the wife, how shall I put it without getting slapped, is 5'3" and not a small gal.

Haven't tried the 103" so can't really do a seat of the pants comparison.

I appreciated your input.

Doesn't matter which one I will get, the stage 1, pipes , AC and tuner/TFI will be added in.

I just got the RKC with 103. only have 135 miles on it, so no chance to give it a good ride...but I love it so far!!

96 or 103 your still leaving a lot of chips on the table without a more aggressive cam but the 103 included with Harley's new Powerpack gets you an oil cooler and ABS too.

I happen to own one of each. A '09 FLHT and an "11 FLHRC with power pack. This is just my option as I'm happy with both bikes just the way they are. The 96 inch is bone stock and is OK. The 103 has a lot more Umphhh. The extra power makes the bike a little easier to ride. It just gets around trucks a little faster. I did find the exhaust note on the 103 to be well..... awful. The dealer gave me, as in free, a set of new mufflers off a '96 inch street glide. The 103 is now as quiet as the stock 96 and still makes more power. No tuning required. If you're like me and want bone stock and quiet with your torque then 103 is the better choice. Almost a must with a friend on the backseat!
flhrrider

What does the "power pack" 103 come with? (Engine mechanical wise). I try to get the bike that will needs less add on later on but it's seem like HD already figures it out, "pay me now or pay me later" in my case.

My theory is this; for a fast smooth ride there is no replacement for displacement (103). With that said there is nothing wrong with the 96, I am 5 foot 5, 170lbs, wife is 5 foot 1, 100lbs and we have no problem with the bike as far as performance goes even when we are totally loaded for a trip. I have a heavy breather, Rush pipes and Screamin Eagle Tuner on an 09 EG and it performs perfect. Sure all that extra power is great but in the long run no matter how you look at it when touring it is more about the comfort of the ride. Take the 96 and spend the extra cash on comfort.
One more thing...whatever you decide make sure it is the best decision you can make for yourself. Good luck

I appreciated your though, that would be the way if I go for the Classic. Both bikes fix me well even though the SG sit a little lower, I still can get "flat footed" on the Classic.

Back