free website stats program 96 ultra ignition module ? | Harley Davidson Forums

96 ultra ignition module ?

73stang

I just acquired a 1996 ultra with the evo fuel injected. I noticed an oil leak from the cam cover at the timing plate. When I took the cover off I noticed the ignition module (i believe that is what it is called) had melted were the wires go into it. I have looked around and found a replacement. while finding the replacement i had several places tell me that i needed the harley module and that it had to be married/programed to the bike and the dealer would need to do this.
Is this true that it needs to be programed? And if so, is there any way of me doing it at home?
I'm new to bikes and to this forum so any help would be appreciated.

Hey Guy, all you need to do is replace it, it does not need programing. but you will need to reset the timing, you can mark the plate were the two screws mount the unit to the cam cover. it will be close, then you can find a good shop to reset it to specs, hope this helps

It is called the cam sensor plate. I believe the EFI plate is different from the carbed. model. It's been quite some time but if memory still working I think the EFI model is fixed in place and no timing is required. I don't think it has to be program/married to the Ignition module(ECM)
I have a service manual for it and will check if no one else corrects me. I haven't work on to many early EFI systems.
tourbox

Fastlinnie is probably correct on the timing. I might be thinking of the 99 TC's that had a cam sensor plate and a crank positioning senor.But they didn't need reprogramming either.
tourbox

thanks again for your help that worked and did not need to be programed. The bike seems completely different after changing this out.

Great news, thanks for checking back in, now get out and ride that horse:s
:rider:wce

Back